Interesting Witness Obituary

by apple829 8 Replies latest jw friends

• apple829
  • Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Oh my God!! I knew this person when I lived in Buffalo!! We were in the same congregation for a while.

From what I heard her two stepsons had left JWs years ago.

• apple829
    apple829

Sorry flowerpetal. I didn't think when I posted this that someone may actually "know" her. I just thought there were some very good things said about her and some of the statements made didn't sound like a dub wrote them. Also, the obituary is very long by the standards in my area. Dubs generally don't say that much about the deceased.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I understand where you're coming from, apple. Knowing her husband as well, it sounds like he wrote this obit. and I'm not surprised that he made it lengthy.

• Scully
    Scully

While I admire her devotion (albeit misguided) it seems pretty sad that attention had to drawn to the fact that her field service report is going to be submitted for this month. As if Jehovah still needs those numbers or even cares about them in her case anymore.

Love, Scully

• Emma
    Emma

She sounds like a remarkable woman. I wonder what her life was really like. I hope she really was happy; so many sacrifices.

• mizpah
    mizpah

Apple:

My impression is that Jehovah's Witnesses had much to do with the writing of that obituary. It sounds too much like an "experience" that one would hear at an assembly or Kingdom Hall. It would be interesting to hear comments from her neighbors and relatives who were not in the organization.

It's sad that she died at such an relatively early age. As already expressed, I hope she found fulfillment in her active life as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Having been in the organization for that length of time, I wonder if she ever had doubts and questions about the Watchtower Society?

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Mizpah:

Apple:

My impression is that Jehovah's Witnesses had much to do with the writing of that obituary. It sounds too much like an "experience" that one would hear at an assembly or Kingdom Hall. It would be interesting to hear comments from her neighbors and relatives who were not in the organization.

It's sad that she died at such an relatively early age. As already expressed, I hope she found fulfillment in her active life as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Having been in the organization for that length of time, I wonder if she ever had doubts and questions about the Watchtower Society?

I know you don't know me from Adam so you can believe me or not, but like I said, I knew this sister, and I knew her husband before he married her. The whole obit sounds like his personality and that he wrote it. When I lived in Buffalo, I saw her drawings. At the time I lived there, right after she was married, she started free-lancing for the department stores, putting her sketches of articles of clothing in the newspapers. I'm not surprised she went on to better things in her work. Her art was part of her personality. If she were ever deprived of being able to express herself thru her drawings, sense of fashion, etc. I know she would have been terrible depressed.

Since I have been away from Buffalo for a very long time, I wouldn't know if she ever had doubts about the society, but she did tell me one time, that she believed that space travel would probably be something that would be accomplished after mankind was perfected. Also she confided that to me, and asked me not to say anything beyond my family. Maybe she recognized that not all JWs had that broadness of mind to even imagine space travel. I know some who thought in the paradise earth, all would go back to the horse and buggy days. They would have been appalled that a JW was entertaining the thought of space travel.

• apple829
    apple829
    Knowing her husband as well, it sounds like he wrote this obit. and I'm not surprised that he made it lengthy.

Sounds like they may have been some nice to people to know.

Mizpah:

The stuff they said about her love of art just didn't sound dubbish to me. The dub obits I've seen are very generic, just listing survivors, a congregation, and time and place for memorial service. You're right, though, I bet it will be an assembly part.

While I admire her devotion (albeit misguided) it seems pretty sad that attention had to drawn to the fact that her field service report is going to be submitted for this month.

That does suck! But I'm glad they did give some insight into loving and creative side of the person.

Sherryl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit