Stop the war

by Diogenesister 9 Replies latest social current

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=D9bk76nB6Bk Please watch this link to a really great American video which features a touching clip of a Dad trying to treasure & explain things to his son as they are both caught up in the Paris attacks. It starts with an interview with a Muslim victim of the attacks and ends with wise words on the effects of war on kids EVErYWHERE , including American sanctioned drone strikes in Syria. Its about 10 mins long.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Unfortunately ISIL has made itself into an organization based upon murder and genocide wherever it went, in the middle east and aboard, in that realization they have established a position to where they cant back down and fade back into society or create a situation of open hearing diplomacy from other countries.

Even if they they would most likely hunted down and tried for the crimes they have committed.

From that acknowledgement the only way to dismantle this organization is by military force.

To destroy this ideology of what this organization represents and make it well known around the world.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"The candles and flowers are here to protect us?"

Even the kid questioned that bullsh!t. You can't teach them critical thinking and then expect them to buy that kind of foolishness.

Of course, in France, it's illegal to have a handgun to protect oneself.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good vid, Diogenesister.

In an ideal world, there would be no need for war.

Hopefully this situation in Syria/Iraq will be sorted as quickly as possible, with as least innocent deaths as possible.

Stop the war - the Stop The War Coalition, including Jeremy Corbyn, should try to persuade jihadis to lay down arms. Otherwise, they're not anti-war, they're anti-West.

• Simon
    Simon

The flowers and candles obviously don't stop bullets so they don't provide immediate protection but the point is that they represent a civilized and caring society and ultimately that does protect against extremism and barbarism.

We will never become the society they want to create.

I was opposed to the Bush / Blair wars because they were obviously built on lies and made the world worse. The military campaign against ISIS is built in necessity and will ultimately save lives, the vast majority of them Muslim.

• kaik
    kaik

I saw it on tv and it is naive. It is not much different when I was school child during the Cold War under communists, and we were had to manifest for world without nuclear weapons and military, while outside my school we had Soviet base and tanks. Robespierre did use child propaganda as well. In 1794 prior his execution, at the height of his power, and the peak of the Terror, he paraded with 8-9 years of girls in the nice dresses through the streets of Paris and denounced the enemies of the state and warmongers, while guillotine beheaded 50-70 people daily.

The West, USA, Russia, and China needs to realize that they are in war with aggressive Islamic ideology which wants to destroy them. Destroying ISIS in necessary step to break this ideology. Children Crusades in 1200s or small child used in propaganda peace talk after such tragedy as Paris will not stop this ideology. Thousands more people will die and lets hope they will not get hold on WMD.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Drop all the bombs you want, fire all the muntions you have and kill the fanatics you can but I guarantee you will not win the war, only battles against the countless new threats which will replace those before them. There are fundamentalists waging jihad across 5 continents and in dozens of countries. The issue extends far beyond ISIS or Al-Qaeda. The fact that Al-Quaeda and the Taliban (who incidentally are growing stonger by the day) are still alive and kicking despite years of earnest fforts to erradicate them, proves there is an endless line of willing jihadists willing to step forward into the ranks and wage their holy war regardless. It's not organizations that are the problem, it's the belief in superstition which provides the means for those seeking to manipulate others that is the problem, be it Islam, Christianity or African ancestral worship. Fundamentalism will never go away until such time that those subscribing to these superstitions decide for themselves they want no part of it simply because they accept it as nonsense and nothing more than a means to have their emotions manipulated. You can declare all you like that not all religious people wish to impose their superstitions beliefs on others, but the fact is as long as those beliefs are allowed to exist there will also be those exploiting believers and even in minorities, they can be influenced to affect society in the most severe ways. This is why I and others are so vehemently opposed to superstitious "faith" and come across as being unreasonable, unfeeling and often seen as "bullies". Your freedom to believe in superstitions affects everyone, not just you.

Incidentally, it is not superstition alone which provides the perfect petri dish for manipulation. Any emotion is capable of allowing one to be manipulated - even love. Not allowing our emotions to dictate our behaviour but instead allowing positive emotions to enhance clear thinking is key. If humans are to progress to the next level of psychological evolution, we HAVE to stop letting our emotions preside over our thought process and make an earnest effort to think critically.

Just my two cents.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    It's not organizations that are the problem, it's the belief in superstition which provides the means for those seeking to manipulate others that is the problem, be it Islam, Christianity or African ancestral worship

My man speaking truth right there. I think the biggest step no one is willing to take is to call these ideas bad. Somehow we have twisted being able to criticize a religion with peoples right to practice it. So like jws who's greatest phobia us anyone criticizing the holy gb, this world is way too sensation to religious ideas that are harmful. Think about how Obama won't say "Islam extremism" just "violent extremism". That is burying your head in the sand. Protecting the very root of the evil.

Everything someone gives the religion itself a pass, as is happening in our time with islam, reform will never take place. The leaders and theocratic examples drive the problem, blowing their followers to kingdom come may give a sense of retaliatory justice I'll admit, but isn't stopping the river of hate from flowing from its source. Hold the religion accountable, don't let them squirm out with complaints of them being victimized.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Incidentally, it is not superstition alone which provides the perfect petri dish for manipulation. Any emotion is capable of allowing one to be manipulated - even love. Not allowing our emotions to dictate our behaviour but instead allowing positive emotions to enhance clear thinking is key. If humans are to progress to the next level of psychological evolution, we HAVE to stop letting our emotions preside over our thought process and make an earnest effort to think critically.
    Just my two cents.

Secretslaveclass Fantastic as always, we are still so primative in our thinking I do agree fully we need to rid the world of superstitious belief systems. thank you everyone for these interesting & informative posts,

Kaik you are right, my post was driven b y emotional reaction to the kid. Thank you for pulling me up on that👍

Think about how Obama won't say "Islam extremism" just "violent extremism". That is burying your head in the sand. Protecting the very root of the evil.

So true Freemindfade

• Simon
    Simon
    Think about how Obama won't say "Islam extremism" just "violent extremism". That is burying your head in the sand. Protecting the very root of the evil.

It is silly and I think it's wrong. I understand the reasoning given but the application makes no sense - he still refers to IS as ISIS or ISIL (i.e. Islamic State ...). In fact, why use that name? It is feeding their own propaganda for them. Better to call them, Daesh or Fahish or just "murdering scumbag losers who can't achieve anything else". Whatever it is, I'd rather it be a name they don't like than the name they use for their own promotion!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/word-isis-doesn-article-1.2438861

http://www.northeastern.edu/news/2015/11/3qs-what-using-the-name-daesh-rather-than-isis-or-isil-really-means/

We refer to White Supremacists as White Supremacists, not "supremacists" because it describes them and would miss an important component - race being an important part of their criminality. Are white people offended and compelled to join them as a result? Of course not. If you were compelled to join them then the name is the least of our concerns.

The Islamic Terrorists of ISIS make heavy use of Islam so it is completely appropriate to use it in describing them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit