Learning The Language.

by Englishman 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

A few moments ago, in the Chat room, reference was made to a TV series called "MI 5"

Now Simon, Little Toe and myself had never heard of it, even though it's a Brit programme. Reason is, because in the UK, it's simply called "Spooks".

It was immediately pointed out to us that this is a derogatory term in the US, although over here it simply means "ghosts".

So, Ladeez and Gentlemen, allow me to introduce a site that takes the confusion out of all these UK / US double-meanings.

http://www.davidappleyard.com/breame.htm

Or does that just take the fun out of the whole thing?

Englishman.

• sens
    sens

Englishman...

Yer...We have spooks here as well....

And Spooks = ghost's here 2...

3 Sens 4

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

E-Man, I just love hearing British English spoken. Especially by a woman!

Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the Int'l Freedomfest so I can hear you and my other British friends in person!

Oh and about that word "spooks". I haven't heard it used to refer to black folks in years, hopefully that particular meaning is being lost. I've heard it plenty of times in spy movies, even ones made in our modern "politically correct" day.

Mike.

• SadElder
    SadElder

In the south it would be completely inappropriate to use the word around certain persons of color. No offense intended but I do know some who would be offended regardless of your personal meaning in using it.

• Simon
    Simon

Wow, that's spooky !

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I love MI-5 -along with CSI/CSI Miami are my fav programs -- isn't Tess played by that girl who was in Walkabout -- filmed in the Austarlian Outback in the ver yearly 70's -- she did a few nude scenes -- forgotten her name - its on every Tuesday here in the USA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit