Top Five Misconceptions about Evolution

by cofty 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    Particularly like the theory v law explanation.
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

I understand and accept all the facts that prove the evolution worthy of being called a scientific theory.
    But I find the infogram somewhat confusing. If I weren't on board yet, it wouldn't help me at all I think.

Sorry :-p

• cofty
    cofty

Here are the five topics covered in the link..

1 - The meaning of the word "theory" in a scientific context.

2 - What does "fitness" mean in the phrase "survival of the fittest"?

3 - Common ancestry and why we don't descend from chimps.

4 - How we know evolution can be "proven" to be true.

5 - Was Darwin wrong? Spoiler alert - No

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good article in the OP.

I'd like to add a further point: some theists won't accept evolution because they wrongly think that because humans share a common ancestor with apes and are thus descended from animals, that we must act like wild animals - fighting, sleeping around, etc. - and dispense with civilised codes of conduct.

This isn't what evolution is about. Evolution is descriptive, not proscriptive.

Scientists have high ethical standards: e.g. before any scientific experiment is allowed to be carried out it must first pass an ethics committee assessment. Risk assessments must also be carried out.

• Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif
    Thanks Cofty. I'm reading lots to increase knowlege and I even understand the infogrammes. Appreciate the part where Darwin was of his age. Like Newton & Einstein. New discoveries have left these scientists behind, especially in the fields of the quantum sciences. But, it doesnt in any way, shape or form diminish their major contributions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit