When you really didn't want to kill a second bird with one stone...

by NVR2L8 2 Replies latest jw experiences

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8
    A few Saturdays ago I had a birthday and as always I wasn't expecting anything special to happen on this ordinary day...when in mid-morning I hear the doorbell. I am watching cartoons on TV with my grand children and my wife tells met that I must to go answer the door. Who could that be? JWs working our territory? I doubt it because they usually skip our house despite the fact I am the only unbeliever in the house. SURPRISE! It's my 82 year old "pioneer for life" mom who lives 600 km away! I am overjoyed to see her. We hug and kiss and cry...then I ask her how she got here? Then I see the rest of my JW siblings: my single sister, my brother who is an elder, his wife and adult daughter. So after greeting them all I tell them jokingly that it is nice of them to come visit for my birthday...my brother feigned not to remember that it was indeed the day I was born and said they couldn't come 12 days earlier to celebrate with us our 42nd wedding anniversary...so here they are! I'm glad he cleared that situation and their conscience so we could go on having a great dinner, an anniversary cake, cards and gifts (for both my wife and I). In retrospect, I wonder if they realize that we would have done exactly the same thing if we celebrated birthdays? I guess not since my wife got upset when she found out my daughter sent me a birthday gift at work. She was upset that we secretly send each other birthday gifts. I told her that we didn't want her to be troubled nor didn't want to engage in a fight. This time I had to tell her about the gift because she was going to find out anyways; it was 6 pairs of coloured socks...an inside joke between daughter and I that my wife wouldn't get.
  • baker
    baker
    sad that a family has to "lie" to themselves to celebrate someone,s life longevity.
  • DesirousOfChange

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit