msn.com: Losing my religion: life after extreme belief - EXPERIENCES OF 3 YOUNG PEOPLE

by AndersonsInfo 1 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/losing-my-religion-life-after-extreme-belief/ar-BBrzKJY?li=AAggNb9

Megan Phelps-Roper, 30, a former member of the Westboro Baptist Church

My first memories are of picketing ex-servicemen’s funerals and telling their families they were going to burn in hell. For us, it was a celebration. My gramps was the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, so it wasn’t just our religion – it was our whole life. I don’t remember much before the picketing. I was allowed to mix with other kids early on, but over time my world shrank.

We believed it was a Good vs Evil situation: that the WBC was right and everybody else was wrong, so there was no questioning. It was a very public war we were waging against the “sinners”. I asked a lot of questions as I got older, but there’s a big difference in asking for clarification and actually questioning the beliefs you’re taught. READ MORE

Deborah Feldman, 29, ex-Satmar Hasidic Jew

Imad Iddine Habib, 26, ex-Salafi Muslim

READ MORE ABOUT THE EXPERIENCES OF ALL THREE OF THESE YOUNG PEOPLE:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/losing-my-religion-life-after-extreme-belief/ar-BBrzKJY?li=AAggNb9

• steve2
    steve2

This is an excellent resource. It takes three different young people - a Christian, a Jew and a Muslim - who have each realized they do not believe the religion of their upbringing and have had to face being shunned by their respective religious communities, including their parents. It illustrates that the difficulties they face in adjusting to their post-religious life have more commonalities than differences. The theme of accepting that their upbringing would continue to impact on them came through very clearly.

It is an important point of discussion for those who leave jw organization to realize this type of shunning is used in other groups to control those who question and doubt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit