A fresh look at Shunning

by Giordano 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Giordano
    Giordano

I have always been opposed to the practice of Shunning especially for simple mistakes, especially when someone questions the 'truth' or the GB. Or elects to speak to a shunned family member or close friend. Or violates the Blood ban.

Even as a practicing JW I was uncomfortable with shunning.

An article caught my attention today on ritual sacrifice.

In much of the pre-modern world, ritual sacrifice was framed as necessary for the good of the society at large — the only way to guarantee, say, a plentiful harvest or success in war.

But the priests and rulers who sanctioned such killings may have had another motive, a new study suggests........... In other words, ritual killings helped keep the powerful in power and everyone else in check................

This finding supports the “social control hypothesis” of human sacrifice, the researchers said. This idea suggests that ritual killings are a way to terrorize people into submission, allowing the religious and political leaders (and in many cultures, those were one and the same) who ordered the killings to consolidate power unopposed............

Watts, a psychologist at the University of Auckland, wrote on his website..........

"People often claim that religion underpins morality,” Watts told Science. But he says his study illustrates how religious rituals like human sacrifice are often designed to serve someone other than the gods: “It shows how religion can be exploited by social elites to their own benefit.”

We have called shunning torture.......... we have called it unloving....a punishment.

Is it also a human sacrifice? After all aDF or DA person is considered living under a death sentence in the JW world........ is this practice which is supposed to come from a loving god nothing more then a barbaric symbolic ritual killing to make sure an organization keeps total control over their followers?

The full article is here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/05/the-darker-link-between-ancient-human-sacrifice-and-our-modern-world/?hpid=hp_no-name_morning-mix-story-j%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

This idea suggests that ritual killings are a way to terrorize people into submission, allowing the religious and political leaders (and in many cultures, those were one and the same) who ordered the killings to consolidate power unopposed.......

This is exactly how JWs use the threat of disfellowshipping. However, you know it's true that the only reason they use disfellowshipping is because it's illegal for them to stone-to-death anyone they deem to be a "sinner".

Doc

• Giordano
    Giordano

DOC I remember how earnest they sounded that because of man's law they could no longer stone.......... it was such a loss. What about Jesus flagging a crowd off with 'who can cast the first stone.'

They are out of their collective mind not to mention tone deaf in communicating their ideas.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Posted on another forum.

Rutherford was the originator of the value of martyrs, with his vitriolic letter to Hitler.

The WTS has always kept the value of martyrs in mind.

Today, it is most commonly seen with the Blood deaths, and with the sacrifice of family via shunning.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    The organisation has taken the concept of judging and sunning to a level far beyond anything that the Bible ever implied.Now people are shunned even if they are not formerly disfellowshiped or disassociated, but simply not up to a "spiritual standard" that the society outlines.
    Innuendo, slander and gossip create the perfect environment for witnesses to decide who they will accept...
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

After all a DF or DA person is considered living under a death sentence in the JW world........

I think that was is an old belief as is "spiritual leprosy" used to descibe DF. The JW refer to DF as a condition. But more accurately an unrepentant sinner because that is the only reason why anyone should be df. THe DF form s77 alludes to 777 or forgiving 77x 7.

From an objective position though, there should be some way to deal with lawbreakers in any society even in JW. DF like jail or punishment or a fine is an attempt to force a lawbreaker to comply and is it serves as a warning to deter others, otherwise you would foolishly have everyone doing whatever they wanted hurting themselves an others( based upon the related rules of conduct) without any fear of punishment.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

If the WTS ran a small country, I guarantee you that DFed individuals would be imprisoned or deported, and "apostates" would be sentenced to death without possibility of appeal or reprieve.

"Civilized", no?

• poopie
    poopie
    Why not start a gofund me page for anti shunning billboard anyone one from Los angelas or ny or Chicago

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit