Is it common practice to keep using Kingdom Halls after congregations have been dissolved?

by keyser soze 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I ask, because a neighboring congregation of where I used to attend was dissolved, and the people from there were scattered about to whatever congregation was closest. But it turns out that they still meet at the old Kingdom hall a couple times a week, for field service. Apparently this is done for tax purposes.

I suppose from a fiscal standpoint it makes sense, though it seems a little deceitful. It does beg the question, though: Why dissolve the congregation in the first place?

• snowbird
    snowbird

I don't have an answer, Keyzer.

Just want to say hi and good to see you.

Sylvia

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    Maybe they have to meet there to keep it tax exempt? They could have dissolved for several reasons. They may not have had enough elders. They may have had an elder body that wasn't following directions. They may have had a large scandal among the elder body. If they couldn't source enough elders to replace them they would have to dissolve the congregation and send the publishers to other congregations. If they think they might recreate the congregation in the near future, it may be better to hold on to the hall instead of building a new one.
  • keyser soze
    keyser soze

Just want to say hi and good to see you.

Good to see you too, snowbird. Long time no see!

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Maybe they have to meet there to keep it tax exempt?

That's exactly the reason they're doing it.

If they think they might recreate the congregation in the near future, it may be better to hold on to the hall instead of building a new one.

I find it a little odd that it's been over a year, and the property, which is fully paid for, and deeded to the society, still hasn't been listed. It may well be for reasons other than financial, that they dissolved the congregation. But my sister and brother in law attended the congregation. He was an elder. I hadn't heard about anything negative going on. But then, I'm not always in the loop anymore.

• millie210
    millie210

Is the real estate market down in your area?

It is recovering in some areas and still slow in others. Maybe they think they should sit on the property a while longer?

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

I will say it certainly isn't normal. Something is up. Could be many things, though.

I hear the organization will keep secrets and lie to protect "Mother".

So good luck getting a straight answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit