Inside NYC's Social Club for the Former Devout!

by truthsetsonefree 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I am very proud of this video and article. This marks the going public of a community that I co-founded with my friend Todd Kadish that is very important in New York City, indeed for everyone. Especially for those who have escaped from some very controlling organizations a chance to integrate into the real world while still feeling validated and avoiding bitterness. I hope you all enjoy, feel free to share with your Networks.

The link is: http://gothamist.com/2016/04/27/ex_religious_social_network.php

• Dagney
    Dagney

That is a fabulous article. Congrats on organizing and providing this community. I hope it spreads to more cities.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy
    A terrific idea, we ex JW's are not the only ones who lose friends and family when leaving a religion, well done to all who started this !
  • steve2
    steve2

Sounds very interesting. I will follow up on this when I'm at home.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Wonderful idea. We like the name of the group, Formerly Fundamentalist NYC. How about starting groups all over the US, Formerly Fundamentalist Nashville, or Formerly Fundamentalist LA, Formerly Fundamentalist AnyCity.

If interested, To get involved, email [email protected].

Barbara and Joe

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Fantastic...for SO many reasons, not least given the threat from fundamentalists at present in the world

Just wondering if Mr Issac Carmignani was one of the ones outed in the Facebook debacle that Cedars was so ambivalent about. Shocking. He was outed in 2006 apparently whilst an elder.

Would LOVE to start one in the UK...Cofty Katewild Jookbeard Loveuni Stanlivedeath  YOU UP FOR IT?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Love your Avatar truthsetsonefree , as a forty plus year old mum of young twins I share the sentiment entirely!
  • Chaserious
    Chaserious
    Great article and video. I think an important point is that as the article mentions, while there is an organization like Footsteps that provides support for people exiting ultra-Orthodox Judaism, there is no analogous organization offering job training and psychological services for ex-JWs, or for people existing high-control fundamentalist groups in general. There should be, and maybe one day there will be.
  • truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Thanks guys...it's amazing the reception to this article. We have even started getting inquiries on our interest in doing a film project from a major producer! I have also been touched by the response from people who were never in a cult. Sadly so few know the damage these groups can cause.

Isaac

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Fantastic!

We applaud the efforts to start and run this group. Support is so vital for ones breaking free of high control groups!

Well done!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit