Testimonies of former Christians.

by The Rebel 7 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

What's the point of debating?

In my opinion it's not to win the argument, but rather to present the evidence and let the audience/lurkers decide the best case. Therefore I thought maybe the best way to present our current beliefs would be to start a thread where only " Testimonies of former Christians" are permitted . However Christians are welcome to start a similar thread " Testimonies of why iam still a Christian". And of course atheists should not debate on that thread.

The Rebel.

p.s when time permits I will post my testimony.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

As nobody seems to be biting on this thread, here is my testimony of why I beame an athiest. Well I have to be quick. Why? I am on lunch break......but the reason I am an athiest is because as an intelligent adult I realize what a load of old cobblers it is to believe in a paradise earth. Yet who knows? And yet -is it not foolish to cherish the fragrant innocence and joyful teachings of false beliefs when as an adult we can acknowledge those beliefs are without substance? Admittadly I had to come to this conclusion without " The Watchtower" denying me access to factual material that destroyed my faith. Maybe that's why " The Watchtower" say " Avoid independent thinking?

The Rebel.

• Landy
    Landy

And of course atheists should not debate on that thread.

Thank you for telling me what I am and am not allowed to do.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

My pleasure Landy, and more to the point I hope this thread will become boaring without debate. Or more to the point I hope this thread is boaring and non confrontational, but if it needs a special committee to respect a posters O.P then so be it.

The Rebel.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Or more to the point I hope this thread is boaring

• Giordano
    Giordano

First I realized that the Society did not have the truth......... this would have been back in the early 1960's. I intuited this without research books nor an internet. I just felt the beliefs were wrong headed. Blood, Armageddon, you name it........ the beliefs over reached the supporting scripture's that were cherry picked out of the OT or NT. Also the theology was all so boring.

I came to realize later on that this was the writing style of one Freddy Franz. At Bethel it was called Freddie's calculus and often laughted about. I found it consistently off message and off puting. Left to himself Freddy pushed 1975 I was long out of it by then. Later I learned that Freddy was made President after Knorr fell ill. Your WTBTS in action.

It became just another blunder by the 'worlds fastest growing religion'

While I was losing my faith in the JW'S I wondered about Jesus and Jehovah. The two J's seemed out of sorts most of the time. My question was why would they have picked such a failure of a group as the WTBTS to be their one and only spokespersons?

So my wife and I left....... we were in our early 20's.

We cleaned house tossing out all of the WT literature including the bibles and did without for the next 50 years.

How did we fare? Quite nicely.

I am comfortable with a person who has a belief in a god and his son however I do not tolerate bending science to fit the genesis account or pretending Jesus was anything other then a man.

I understand the ignorance that drove religious belief in the 19th century but i never understood clinging to all of the misrepresented information that has and is to this day the motivation to believe in the folly of man made religions.

As I mentioned in another post....... one person's delusions are considered a mental health issue. A group of people with those same delusions is considered a religion.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Thanks Xanthippe for your " boaring" humor :-)

Giordano, your comments were a great read, and made starting the O.P very worthwhile.

The Rebel.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

So my wife and I left....... we were in our early 20's. ~ Giordano

You lucky b*st*rd!

It took us another 30+ years to awaken to TTATT! -- [Banging head against the wall to relieve the pain]

As far as the OP, I would really like to say I am still a "believer", yet since learning TTATT and experiencing everything that I was told as a born-in being crashed to pieces, I have come to doubt everything. I really would prefer to believe that there is still some "master plan" from a "higher power" that will in the end, result in justice that corrects all the injustices in human history -- that all things will eventually be made "all right". But I need more evidence than just having "faith".

As Jerry McGuire would say: "Show me the 'money'!"

I need some real, solid evidence! (And please don't direct me to some "Jesus feeling" in my heart. I have learned that "the heart is treacherous".)

Doc

The greatest revenge is living a happy & successful life!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit