Question about the new blood card

by Truthexplorer 9 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    OK......I really need to know the answer to the following question and scenario. Supposing a child at age 14 decides to get baptized. The child is then given the new blood card which has now tightened things up with respect to lawyers etc. Supposing that child is involved in a car accident, is unconscious, has the blood card on him/her. He or she is rushed to hospital, the parents are told that a blood transfusion needs to be administered due to so much loss of blood from the injuries sustained; the parents refuse to give in on the blood issue. Can he or she still me made ward of court? or does this new blood document now override ward of court? I really need to know the answer to this please!
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

Can he or she still me made ward of court?

No time for that while an unconcious minor is bleeding "to death". Seems to me that a judge has the power and authority to determine that a minor is mature enough OR NOT to make such a (BLOOD) decision if the minor or child is conscious. I cannot see a hospital not request for judicial intervention to give blood to an unconscious minor. Cannot see the hospital not giving blood to an unconcious minor based upon the medical directive. Seems to me that they will -just my guess though. I dont know how legal the directive is when it affects life and death of a minor.

I have seen judges order BT TO ADULTS (how much more a child) superseding the Directive based upon Non JW family such as spouse or sibling petition . I have also seen that the Court errs when doing so... but yes, it seems to me that as tight as the directive appears to be, it can be challenged.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

That really depends on the attending, the risk and the necessity. For most jurisdictions, a medical directive by a non-emancipated minor (a minor that is not free of parental control by court order, marriage etc.) is legally null and void. The parents or minor (if lucid enough to substantiate their wishes) can indicate their wishes and most doctors will try to do their best to follow them but most risk management departments and lawyers of the hospital will say to do what they feel is in the best interest of the minor during an emergency.

This does not mean that doctors are free to do whatever, they still have to try to adhere to the wishes of the patient regardless whether or not they are minors but even the Supreme Court has established that parents do not have the right to let their children die.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    No matter what the Watchtower draws up regarding their blood policies, minors will continue to be given life saving blood transfusions in emergency and non emergency situations. The courts are set up to resolve these issues 24/7.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What Girl*Next*Door said.

Doc

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

minors will continue to be given life saving blood transfusions in emergency and non emergency situations.

Nope, that depends. The "Youths who put God First" Awake proves you wrong. Also, in the USA when someone is bleeding to imminent death, do you think that the 24/7 set up Court has time to decide and rule? Please post more information about these 24/7 Courts. I would like to learn about them

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    I just wondered as am holding my own child back from baptism until over 18. I live in the UK and was concerned that this New document held more power legally on the blood issue when it comes to children.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    14 year old boy was allowed by the state of Washington to refuse blood. One can not expect a judge to have any common sense.
  • the girl next door
    the girl next door

The specific anomalies mentioned above are rare and nowhere near standard procedure in all but 3 of the United States where minors may be given authority over their own medical decisions.

In a life threatening situation where blood is required for emergent stabilization, which is particularly true in acute traumatic situations, the transfusion of a minor is performed 99.9% of the time regardless of the presence of a court order.

By Ex-Parte the following day those minors are made ward of the State to ensure the preemptive decision can not be challenged. It is a system designed to ensure the power of the Court 24/7.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

This will vary depending on the location/existing laws, and the attending physician. We have seen cases where the physician speaks with the minor, and makes a decision to respect the minors wish to not accept a prohibited transfusion. However, in most the cases the physician has the legal authority to proceed with the transfusion of a minor in an emergency regardless of the parent or child's wishes.

The real danger to fourteen year olds (and other adolescent JWs) is having cancer or some blood disorder that eventually will require a prohibited transfusion to treat. In these cases, Watchtower has had success in getting courts to grant "mature minor" status, and prohibit their receiving medically necessary care. The 94 Awake has many examples.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit