Do JWs ever doubt that the end is really coming?

by dogon 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The other day an elderly lady told me the end was so close that she was sure she would live through it. I just smiled and said "hmmm...." while walking away. Felt sorry for her and these other really old people, remember this is FL, in the cong who claim they will live to see Armageddon.

So far, I have attended 4 funerals in the past 5 years of those who thought for sure would live long enough to see the end.

Sad.😔

DY

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

I think many in my old cong were/are suffering from the delayed A. Poor people with bad health but afraid not to wait on jehovah. Should they know about these?:

"The year 1925 is a date definitely and clearly marked in Scriptures, even more clearly than that of 1914;…" Watchtower 1924 Jul 15 p.211

"Receiving the gift, the marching children clasped it to them, not a toy or plaything for idle pleasure, but the Lord's provided instrument for most effective work in the remaining months before Armageddon." Watchtower 1941 Sep 15 p.288

We all know there are many more, but why the f&*k didn't they show me GEMS like these during my bible study 20 years ago? They made it look as if 1914 and 1975 were understandable mistakes! The oldest J-dub (already deceased) in my past cong truly hoped to see Armageddon. He got to know the "truth" back in 1950. I now often wonder...he MUST have known at least one or some of these false -now hidden- Russell/Rutherford prophecies, but WHY O WHY O WHY did I only got to know them last year!!! If I will ask his children about it, it might bring my -so far- perfect fading in danger.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

very few behave as if the end is really near. ~ Doubtfully Yours

That is the key thing!

NO ONE is living as though the Big A is coming tomorrow. They are contributing to their 401(k) for retirement and taking on 30 year mortgages on their new homes. No one is out there selling all their assets so they can pioneer and warn everyone.

Down deep, they all know it's bullshit!

Doc

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Personally, I never had time to think about the "imminent end".

It's very smart to keep the friends busy enough to not even have time to think about "the end" that was supposed to have already arrived!

It wasn't until I heard about the elders having a secret book that sparked my curiosity however, it would be another 10 years before I actually acted on it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

With the advent of time passing on, I'm sure there's many JWS thinking to themselves what's going on .

The main reason I left the JWS back in the early 80's was I didn't feal compelled to be subservient to bunch of lying corrupt men wanting power unto themselves and realization that they would intensively punish people who weren't loyal to those pretentious corrupt lies.

Too much Bullshit to much manipulation, too much exploitation and too much ignorance wrap up with a smile.

• skin
    skin
    Our CO told us in one of his talks on his last visit that the end is going to come in our life time, and those that don't believe this, are basically listen to Satan's lies, or as he put it "Expressions of Error". So we are forced to believe the end is so near. Luke 21:8. No doubts allowed no matter how many times JW.org have cried wolf in the past.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

redpilltwice - "...why the f&*k didn't they show me gems like these during my bible study...?"

Because you would have stopped your Bible study.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Londo111 - "...I believe many JWs, while to some extent do believe it, have an authentic corner of their identity that does not fully buy in to the full implications..."

Agreed.

They often end up here.

I compare the full-on hard-core believers to the "if-you-don't-accept-Jesus-you're-going-to-Hell" evangelicals.

• Lieu
    Lieu

Yes, anyone around for over a decade will have doubts. Its only human. My mom used to be really vigorous about the "soon" in her lifetime but now I notice she has become more "maybe" and detached. And she looks so worn down.

Letting go of the expectation of anything happening before you die after decades of earnest anticipation has got to be crushing. You know they doubt but they won't say it ... it would be too crushing to admit even if they had no fear of admission.

Some have spent their lives literally wearing out their bodies and minds never having any time for themselves under the heavy loads and burdens placed on them (by WTBTS) thinking "soon".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit