Please, tell me.

by andrewlya 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Man begets man, God begets God. Jesus is the only begotten son of God, and he is called God different times in the Bible, not just John 1:1.

I think son of God MEANS that he is God.

If you have a movie, say King Kong. And then a sequel, son of King Kong, the subject is going to be very similar, isn't it? Is there still only one King Kong, or are they both King Kongs, similar in power and image but different versions? One is not in essence less Kong than the other. (Please forgive the silly illustration! Um, cofty thinks God is a monster, so cofty, that was a gift to you! ;))

The Trinity doctrine is meant to reconcile how there can only be one God, yet there are all these scriptures that say the son of God is: the image of God, God, the alpha and Omega, the I am, the only begotten God, mighty God, all things created by him, etc.

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

For me (I've never been a JW), the JW perspective of Jesus as a lesser being made even less sense to me. If Jesus is a lesser god, that means someone other than God now has all authority in heaven and earth (Matthew 28:18) and will have that authority again during the millenial reign. How is it possible that God--a jealous and sovereign God--will share His glory and honor with a created being, even requiring us to honor the Son just as we honor the Father (John 5:23)? In the Bible, worshiping a deity goes hand in hand with serving it (e.g., Exodus 20:3-5; Jeremiah 25:6; 2 Kings 17:35-36; Joshua 24:14-15). Yet the apostles identified themselves as bondservants (slaves) of Jesus. Why did they follow and serve another god that is not God?

Christ is God and man. As the Son of God, He is equal to God. That's why the Jews wanted to stone him for "making Himself equal to God" (John 5:18). As the Son of Man, He is less than God because human nature is less than God's nature. With His death and resurrection, Jesus was glorified again to the glory He had with the Father before the world was (John 17:5).

As for the JW "proof text": so God may be all in all (1 Corinthians 15:28)...I understand to mean "when all of this is over, the differentiation of the Trinity will no longer be necessary because we'll know God face to face." Overall, though, I agree with others that this isn't the make or break issue; receiving Jesus is.

• LeeT
    LeeT
    Whilst you're looking at JW beliefs on the trinity you might also like to compare with Unitarianism. This link looks to provide a fairly neutral non doctrinaire stance.
    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/trinity/unitarianism.html

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555
    If you want to speak to active and fully determined JWs, use the JWTALK Forum.
  • jhine
    jhine

Hi andrewlya , l would echo what people have said about the WT being extremely controlling and very dogmatic . l have never been a J W but l thought l knew a lot about the WT , wrong, being on here has been an eye-opener .

If you became a Witness , especially baptised , they would own you . lots of people on here have horrific stories to tell about how their lives have been ruined and their families split by the WT .

They have to keep members isolated and controlled to stop them from reading the Bible for themselves , without the " aid " of WT material .

Also to stop them from finding out the real history of the WT , much of which is covered up by the Governing Body and to stop them from finding out the WT's terrible record on child protection .

Research for yourself , independently , find out the whole truth about the WT , not just what they tell you

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit