How to Eders influence you?

by UpAndAtom 9 Replies latest jw friends

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

I am not a JW (never have been)... and am curious by the "10 hrs" I see posted from time to time.

Does an elder pull you aside and say, "I see you've only done 9 hours, so I will revoke your status of ____?" Do they actually have an scripture reason for insisting on logging hours? They must have some kind of reason that makes sence, otherwise you could just turn around and say, "Two hours is enough - it's the quality, not the quantity" Or can't you talk like this to an elder?

• minimus
    minimus

The Society is more interested in numbers than they are persons. Years ago, 10 hours spent in the ministry was considered a requirement, a quota. Then they called it a "goal". If a brother doesn't reach this Society suggested "goal", the elders may talk to him to "encourage" him to get in the entire 10 hours or more. That way they can be "used" in the congregation.

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

UpandAtom,

Witnesses are encouraged to maintain the "national average" in reporting field service time. This average varies but has been around ten hours a month in the past.

The official stance is that in accord with Jesus' parable of the "widow's mite", as much as it is possible for each Witness to do is acceptable to God.

However, the pervading undercurrent that is felt at all times is "do more, do more, do more".

Syrup

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

The printed protocol is that there is no "official" hourly requirement, that ten hours is just what the average Witness manages, and that it indicates spiritual health to put in at least that many hours (but of course the more you go out, the better). However,in reality, Witnesses are judged by the number of hours they spend in service. Field service time is often used when elders decide whether or not a person is fit for baptism or other priviledges. Some events that Witnesses participate in, such as attending a "quick built Kingdom Hall event" require that the Witness be of "good spiritual standing", which translates to attending all five meetings a week, commenting at said meetings, and going out in service at least ten hours a month.There are many families who won't associate on a social level with other families who don't put in ten hours a month.

Unfortunately, this unofficial protocol creates a class system and allows some elders to use their position of power to prevent persons with whom they have differences from being considered members of "good spiritual standing". A person may be held back from being baptised simply because they are not putting in ten hours of field service a month. Oftentimes, issues such as health, age, and the need to earn a living to support one's family aren't even taken into consideration, because- according to the upper eschalon at Bethel who are supported by 'voluntary' donations- "Jehovah will provide for his faithful followers"-leaving the unspoken impression that those who aren't faring well are obviously not doing enough in Jehovah's service to warrant his care. In fact, people with health problems that are not deemed "legitimate" by the congregation (ie-they are not easily discerned by outward appearances) are often made examples of when they cannot make the congregation hourly requirement.Oh, it is all done on an "anonymous" level in the local needs talks, but one usually knows which families go out on a regular basis and which ones do not.

Some scriptural admonitions I've heard used as justification are "exert yourself vigorously", and the fact that the nation of Israel recorded things such as geneologies and the materials used in the building of the temple, so naturally, it would be expected that they also kept a careful record of their service time.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Cicatrix writes

The printed protocol is that there is no "official" hourly requirement, that ten hours is just what the average Witness manages, ---- However,in reality, Witnesses are judged by the number of hours -- is often used when elders decide whether or not a person is fit for baptism or other priviledges. ---attending a "quick built Kingdom Hall event" require ---- going out in service at least ten hours a month -- Unfortunately, this unofficial protocol creates a class system and allows some elders to use their position of power to prevent persons with whom they have differences from being considered members of "good spiritual standing". A person may be held back from being baptised simply because they are not putting in ten hours of field service a month.

Unfortunately this is all TRUE

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

One time a young sister with 4 young children was in the process of getting a divorce from her abusive hubby......abusive hubby died before the divorce was final in a motor cycle accident......Young sister was grieving terribly, because she had actually loved him....and was probably frightened for her children's and her own future......At the KH, I mentioned to an elder that I was planning on visiting her and asked if there were something necessary I could take to the sister and her children (food, etc.).....That Kong-irrational serpent told me that I should be careful and not get into association with the young sister, because she was too emotional.....I turned on him like a mongoose and looked him straight in the eye and said "GOOD! I would think her behavior strange at this time, if she weren't!"....and walked away from his dumb-struck look.....so.....I spose you could say I wasn't very influenced by what elders said, thought, or did as it got closer to time for my personal Exodus..........

Frannie B

• blondie
    blondie

Years ago, in the 50's and 60's, ten hours was "strongly suggested" in the publications. A chart of the congregation's numbers was prominently displayed usually to the right or left of the platform. That way if you visited a congregation you could see whose was the better congregation.

10 hours is based on going out "preaching" every Saturday morning if you are a good JW.

Ideally,

9:00 meet for service and discuss day's text, form car groups

9:15 leave for territory

9:30 knock on first door

10:30 coffee break (witness to waitress so can keep counting time)

10:45 back in territory

12:00 stop for the day

2 1/2 hours x 4 Saturdays = 10 hours

Thus they figured the average JW could spend at least 10 hours a month easily in the "preaching."

Of course that doesn't count the 4 hours, 4 return visits and 1 bible study parents could count if they had unbaptized children.

6/1/61 WT

p. 328

Each congregation has its hour quota and each Witness strives to meet or exceed it. The average minister in a congregation spends some ten hours monthly in such evangelizing. They believe in "buying out the opportune time" for themselves.—Eph. 5:16.

6/15/61 WT

p. 373

If you are really pursuing everlasting life, then your record of field ministry should indicate that. Do you spend at least ten hours each month preaching and teaching the Bible truth to others? Can you imagine Paul being contented with less than ten hours a month even when he found it necessary to work full time making tents?

1/1/62 WT

p. 20

Do you devote ten hours a month to this work of talking, or just two and a half hours a week, only twenty minutes a day? Think about it! That is not too much time for a Christian to spend, is it, in order to show he is an imitator of Christ?

3/1/62 WT

p. 157

Nor may we content ourselves with but one hour a month if we can devote ten hours to prophesying. Ten hours a month is only one hour every three days, and surely we can find that much time for prophesying.

By 1973 this quota disappears in the publications as indicated by this statement

Kingdom Ministry 2/73 p. 1

Some have said: ‘But we have no quotas now.’ Though the hour requirements for the various branches of pioneer service have not changed, it is true that congregation publishers have no set goal of, say, ten hours per month.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Whats funny is that the national average is below 10 if you look at a KM, I think its 7 hours??? But its not 10 anymore.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, simplesally, without that 10 hour quota, monthly hours have been gradually sliding down. The elders and MS are only held to the national average so maybe they are skewing the figures so they can go golfing more.

Blondie

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Of course, the catch-22 is that if everyone made the national average, the national average would go up. By definition, half the publishers will always be below the average.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit