How Many Elders And Ministerial Servants Are There In Your Congregation?

by Village Idiot 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Local foreign language congregation : 50 publishers / 9 elders / 2 MS

Local congregation : 100 publishers / 3 elders / 2 MS

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    Does anybody see a pattern here?
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    Yes, there are remarkably fewer elders than publishers.
  • St George of England
    St George of England

100 publishers

15 elders

4 ministerial servants

How several of the elders got to be appointed I cannot imagine.

George

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    The pattern is fewer ministerial servants than elders!!!!
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

Approx 110 publishers. We had 11 elders but one was stabbed in the back and forcibly dumped last week after 40+ years on a pure technicality.

Dunno how many minis - must be around 5 or 6.

• sir82
    sir82

Some might say, lots of anecdotes about elders outnumbering MS, and anecdotes <> evidence, but....

I recall an elders school some years ago where it was "officially" said that elders significantly outnumbered MS, at least in the US. I could probably find the numbers in my notes if I cared enough to look.

Kids are wising up and leaving, and of the few who remain, most have little interest in "reaching out".

And even those who do want to "reach out", many if not most head for greener pastures. They are bored with the same old congregation, and so move on foreign-language groups, or do "need-greater" assignments, etc.

I keep saying, and I think it will come true - there will be a leadership crisis in US/European congregations before many more years pass. Elders will keep dying off or stepping aside, and there aren't enough replacements.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    7 elders ( 2 who are very old and non functioning) and I think 2 servants - about 100 pubs
  • rebelfighter
    rebelfighter
    I just have to ask. I am not a JW and have never been in a KH but what exactly does the Elders have to do? Based on this thread they are responsible for on average 100 members of the congregation. Based on other threads the meetings are completely outlined for them by HQ, everything they do is outlined for them for meetings which is 4 Sundays and 4 midweek meetings. Then of course I guess they have to do some "council" of wayward ones. Please help me understand why it takes so MANY men to Shepard so few flock. I really am trying.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

There are two aspects to it rebel.

Firstly there is a surprising amount of work because the org makes it so with copious paperwork, form filling, procedures etc. Really four or five elders is a minimum for a congregation above 80 or so people assuming those elders are healthy and have a reasonable amount of time. Many elders are older, are ill or have family circumstances that limit what they can do.

Secondly, having "privileges" in the congregation, especially being an elder, is aspirational and an outward sign you are "spiritual". It's a marker to everyone else that you can be trusted and are loyal. A man older than his late 30s who is not a ministerial servant, let alone an elder, is usually considered a little suspect even if everything else they do conforms to the norm.

Being an elder is a control mechanism, both of the flock the elder is in charge of and the individual holding the position.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit