the path

by Princess Ashe 3 Replies latest social entertainment

• Princess Ashe
    Princess Ashe
    Anyone watching the path on Hulu? It's a bit extreme but a few similarities in dealing with the struggle of having doubt in possibly splitting up the family. Ones in blindly following..
  • jw07
    jw07

I absolutely love that show!

Waking up and realising that there is no 'Light' (WT Truth, new light etc) was portrayed so well.

Also the automatic shunning and useless ways of trying to re-indoctrinate the strongly doubtful struck cords with me.

Cal is the governing body. He has to make up new crap to keep followers in after the previous leaders DIE and no promises have been fulfilled.

The visiting couple that are opposed to Cal (black woman and Caucasian / mixed husband) remind me so much of circuit overseas and their wives. So damn pious and into everyone's business.

Cults preying on the vulnerable, and persons being captives of concept reinforced by each generation of followers is something we can definitely relate to as well.

I just wish it was a bit more 'family friendly' so I could innocently recommend it to JWs I know.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I love this show. It shows the 'normal' side of people in a cult...that they are not mindless zombies, while at the same time the mechanisms of undue influence are always present.

Lots of similarities: The shunning of former members, not having close association of non-members, the struggle of a young person attempting to be normal and yet pleasing the cult, not being allowed to remain if it comes to light you don't believe...

I really love Hawk's story. I wish I was as smart as he was when I was his age.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Yes I've been watching. Those cult buzz words ring loud and clear.

This week was especially moving when Hawk at 16 is told my his mom he will never see his family again. It's a scenario played loud and proud by the WT. Makes me ill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit