Was Jesus disrespectful to his mother?

by purrpurr 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

The famous wedding/ water into wine scene where he basically tells me mother to hop it and that he's nothing to do with her is what I am referring to.

Now the WT tries to claim that this is not disrespectful and that Jesus says this in a kindly manner which somehow makes it all OK. But then the WT have never been big on respecting women so this probably would make sense to them.

But the fact is that in the ten commandments the Jews were commanded to respect their parents, in fact if a child was disrespectful to the parents the parents were to stone the child and... If the parents didn't the tribe were to stone them too.

So by being disrespectful towards his mother Jesus was breaking gods law, by not stoning him Mary and Joseph were breaking gods law and by not stoning them the tribe were breaking gods law.

What do you think? The WT's explanation of jesus's behaviour never did sit well with me. Do you agree? Do you think Jesus was disrespectful to his mother?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Jesus was half human and living in a male dominated society so his response reflected that.

A modern reply would sound something like - "don't sass me woman! I got this"

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

If I had said that to my mom, my older brothers, sisters and dad would have kicked

my ass into the next day and my mom, well lets say my life would have been short-lived.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

On the face of it it does certainly sound like he could have been disrespectful to his mother. I always wondered about this and thought that perhaps something was lost in the translation!

Being as there were no camcorders there in the first century, we'll never know!

But, then again, Jesus's reference to "little dogs" when referring to non-Jews never sat well with me.  Neither did the JW religion's explanation at the time (trying to make it sound "loving").  So, Jesus apparently was known for telling people off or being a little sassy or politically incorrect. He said whatever was on his mind at the moment. Hey, a guy who allegedly performed miracles like he did could get away with a lot!

• Simon
    Simon
    Let's face it, even hippy-peace-loving Jesus was a bit of a douche when it comes to non-male non-jews.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

There is definitely a cultural issue.

People would be shocked today and say he needed some sensitivity training. But, I guess we are all products of the society we are living in.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Interestingly enough I was watching a BBC documentary about early Christian art and it was pointed out that in the first depictions of Jesus at the wedding feast he is shown using A WAND to turn the water in to wine! A WAND!

Yep the first Christians thought Jesus was some kind of magician!

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Maybe it's a more dignified reference than you may think. In Genesis, God refers to The Woman as the one who will crush Satan's head.

Genesis 3;15.And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."

So perhaps the title of 'Woman' is not as disrespectful as you think. Word meanings change thru time, but dead languages never change. The Hebrew of the old testament is a dead language.It does not change anymore. Just speculating of course. I wan't there either

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit