My physically disabled mom attends one day assembly while excusing herself from her best friend's wake.

by RULES & REGULATIONS 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

My mom has been physically disabled the last three years.She cannot walk without assistance,needs someone to cut up her food,needs help bathing and is either in bed,in a wheelchair or sitting in an electric recliner.My brother pays for her care while he's at work and takes care of her after work and weekends.

Last week my mom calls me to tell me that her best friend of 50 years (who was not a Jehovah's Witness ) passed away.She tells me that the wake would be on Monday night.I told her that I would help my brother get her in the car and stay an hour or so with them and help pay her last respects to her best friend's husband and 3 children.

She tells me that she would have a hard time getting in and out of the car and sitting at the funeral home would be too difficult.So,I decide to attend her best friend's wake to represent our family since neither my dad,mom and brother decide to attend.I attended the wake and told the widowed husband and the 3 children that my mom was sorry that she couldn't attend the wake due to being physically disabled.

I found out that my mom attended a one day assembly on that Saturday. She sat in her wheelchair from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to listen to the program.I'm pissed that she would miss her best friend's wake but attended an 8 hour assembly.My wife told me that I should of called her on why....." if she's so sick she could physically attend the assembly and not her best friend's wake."

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

This religion worships those that are willing to do what your mother did. They, JW Leadership, usually make up such stories and here they have a real life example. I can hear it now coming from the stage,

"See brothers and sister, this elderly and affirmed sister was able to make it to the assembly despite her disability. What is your excuse?"

I'm sure this has been grounded into your mothers head for a long long time.

• Giordano
    Giordano

You know it could just be that she is hedging her bet....... letting Jah know she's loyal up to the bitter end.

Or.......... when this same situation happened with my Mom she passed up the wake of her closest friend because she was too depressed to attend. It cut to close to home so to speak.

By the way, you and your brother are there for her........ that's a good thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit