Maybe I'm Just Ignorant About the New "Anti-Gay" Video

by turtleturtle 146 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Having no prospect of an intimate relationship is different than having the possibility of an intimate relationship even if it never happens. Radically different.

Modifying one's racial Idenity is extremely common, from subtle to extreme.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Why is anybody the least bit surprised and feigning outrage when a bunch of biblical literalists take a position on a biblical prohibition.

How come you don't go on threads discussing shunning or blood saying:

Why is anybody the least bit surprised and feigning outrage when a bunch of biblical literalists take a position on a biblical practice of shunning?

Or,

How can you expect them to change their stance on blood it would destroy them!

Why is this particular strain of pragmatic incredulity reserved for threads where people argue that homophobic JW teaching is unacceptable?

• just fine
    just fine

According to the JWs everyone on this site is going be baggage left at the airport right along with gay people and anyone else who doesn't agree with them. They are equal opportunity paradise barring people.

See you all at the baggage claim 🍻

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Like someone can just drop homosexual leanings or desires like a dropping a piece of carry-on luggage.

Its worse than that...they expect gay people to just drop their loved one like a piece of carry-on luggage too....oh hang on, they already expect people to do that with their kids, fathers, mothers, wives, grandfathers,aunties, cousins...etc...at least then they are equal opportunities shunners!!

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    Except of course that you're allowed to have "kids, fathers, mothers, wives, grandfathers,aunties, cousins...etc.." However, homosexuals are not allowed to have partners. Not exactly "equal opportunity shunning" here.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    At that point they trespass into an area where the law can step in and hold them accountable for violating other people's rights.

You are right , but I do think WT are treading on thin ice with this one. Essentially the video is a) teaching their kids to be bigoted and b) telling them to go preach that bigotry to their schoolmate with gay parents.

Given that most schools in the US and UK etc aim to create a safe environment for ALL pupils regardless of creed, religion, sexual preference and family background etc a kid going JW sherrif all over school and making fellow pupils feel like shit in the process is likely to cause a shitstorm if said gay parents are inclined to make an issue of it. I don't know where all this would lead but I do know one thing, the JW kid is likely to have another viewpoint vehemently rammed down her throat by the school board . A good thing of course but not from a dub parents point of veiw.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Here's my opinion on this:

Simon implies that there is no discrimination because the mom tells Sophia to tell her classmate about pandas.

I can see a couple of things happening.

Suppose Sophia goes and tells her classmate about the pandas. Her classmate, being a kid, is like "cool! I want to pet pandas too! How?"

And Sophia goes, "Well, you have to follow Jehovah's rules. And Jehovah's rules say that no one who is practicing homosexuality can go into paradise."

"Girl is like, but my two mommy's are gay!"

Sophia says, "well, they can change and please Jehovah, and you can be in paradise with them petting pandas"!

girl says: "what happens if they don't change?"

Sophia: "well... (Hesitates)... The Bible says they will be destroyed at armageddon."

The classmate gets scared, has trauma thinking that her moms are going to be murdered by God.

Scenario 2:

Kid being raised by JW's sees this video. He knows that he likes boys, not girls. He feels horrible and prays and prays to Jehovah to make him like girls, but to no avail.

Whether discriminatory or not or homophobic or not... The fact is, this video can result in extreme harm, up to and including suicide.

On another note, the Spanish Wikipedia suggests that the word "homonegative" be used instead of "homophobic" because of the first response of lots of people being "it's not a phobia"!

Cofty, you likely get pissed off when people say "it's only a theory" regarding evolution.

Let's leave semantics aside and focus on the potential harm this video could cause.

I see many good reasons why the video should be denounced.

I agree with SBF, they could STFU about homosexuality.

• Simon
    Simon
    I do think WT are treading on thin ice with this one. Essentially the video is a) teaching their kids to be bigoted and b) telling them to go preach that bigotry to their schoolmate with gay parents.

Except it does neither of those things.

Given that most schools in the US and UK etc aim to create a safe environment for ALL pupils regardless of creed, religion, sexual preference and family background etc a kid going JW sherrif all over school and making fellow pupils feel like shit in the process is likely to cause a shitstorm if said gay parents are inclined to make an issue of it. I don't know where all this would lead but I do know one thing, the JW kid is likely to have another viewpoint vehemently rammed down her throat by the school board . A good thing of course but not from a dub parents point of veiw.

So here's how it also works - why is the teacher "preaching" gay marriage to the religious kids?

Again, where in the video is it suggested that the JW child be in any way judgmental of other people's choices? The parent says "other people make their own decisions".

What would you have the message be?

Heck, when I was at school it would have been "why do you have worldly friends?!?!" so they have progressed since then. Now JW kids can hang around with kids with gay parents. Pretty amazing.

I can see a couple of things happening.

We could write lots of alternative endings both positive and negative. None of them alter the content of the video itself. The child with the gay parents could become depressed and bring a gun to school to shoot everyone. Who knows. If we're playing "what might happen" then we can make up literally anything.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

In the video there is a buffer between Sophia and the classmate as she goes home and tells mom who then tells her what to do. But in reality the message will be given directly to the kids because it's a video designed for kids.

Kids are not known for their tactfulness, or ability to contextualize they will say the darndest things after all. Most parents of children under ten or so know to be careful what to tell them as they can blurt stuff out in a way that sounds offensive or even wrong to any random person. The governing body won't have to deal with any potential blowback from this video's message the witness kids will. Shit rolls downhill, sorry kids.

• krejames
    krejames
    Actually the video doesn't even mention that the two mommies are having sex. No evidence that they're doing anything "unscriptural". They could be sisters for all we know. But nice that the judgmental mom of Sophia assumes they are doing the deed otherwise why would she even comment on it? After all the bible does not forbid having two mommies. 😛

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit