Why education is a killer for doomsday cults.

by Half banana 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bohm
    bohm

What a great post. A quote that I often think about on this topic (I can't recall where I first saw it) goes something like this (I think i am butchering it pretty badly though): The difference between a scientific mindset and a non-scientific mindset is that a non-scientific mindset tries to label statements as either true or false whereas a scientific mindset asks how likely each statement is to be true and how we can know.

• Half banana
    Half banana

@Ucantnome, JWs for the most part are not stupid but they are deceived or deluded.

Religion appeals to the emotional aspects of our being often at the expense of the logical. Humans can find emotional drives more powerful than any knowledge of the cosmos which might seem detached or merely abstract... but our feelings are what we live with and what we colour the world with.

It takes some growing up to step outside of a purely emotionally driven life.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    Half banana I'm quite grown up and so is the person I work with
  • Half banana
    Half banana

I'm sure you are Ucantnome but I only grew up when I was about forty when I left behind the infantile beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses. So I apologise if I was projecting my own immaturity on others.

However I would maintain that mentally bright JWs are foolish and juvenile to allow their emotional/ religious life trump scientific truth. We should marshal our emotions and knowledge after knowing first what is actually true, not base our lives  on Bible stories as taught by cult leaders.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Doomsday religions utterly depend on the conviction that the world is going to shit.

Education helps the individual realize that while it ain't perfect, the world - overall - is actually better than it ever has been in the past, and that trend shows no signs of ending.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit