Did Jesus really suffer? Really?

by purrpurr 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I have a book The Passion (Photography from the Movie The Passion of the Christ) on page 69 it has a photograph of a beaten and bloodied man and quotes Isaiah 52:14. 'Many were amazed when they saw him-beaten and bloodied, so disfigured one would scarcely know he was a person'

I had never thought of it being so bad until I saw that.

• Half banana
    Half banana

The ransom sacrifice is the elaboration of a perfectly dreadful story. It is based on the most primitive and yet dramatic means of restoring the equilibrium in a tribal society. It is the belief that for the sake of the unity of the tribe and for the appeasement of the gods; someone has to die.

The idea was formalised in early Egyptian Horus/Osiris myth and perpetuated by successive tribes and powers in the region. Over time each group and regional cult would add in their own local notions but the essence of the story remained.

Had it not been for Jewish dissidents looking for a god-man saviour of their own and labelling him Jesus, we would know this same myth as the death and redemption of the crucified saviour Dionysus.

Although Christianity and the JW org would  instantly die if it was understood... yet it is a fundamental matter of education to know when we are dealing with myth or with fact.

Hint: if the text contains accounts of people coming back from the dead or talking animals or invisible spirits; it is a story or myth. 

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Given the lack of evidence outside the bible for the existance of Jesus.....How can a fictional character suffer?

I was sorry to hear about Bambi's mum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit