by teenyuck 3 Replies latest social current

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

CLINTON CRITICS PLAN COUNTERLIBRARY TO MOCK HIS LEGACY

Sunday, July 27, 2003
    NEWS 08A

By David Hammer
    Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- A few blocks from the site of former President Clinton's planned presidential library, a couple of Clinton haters hope to open a museum devoted to mocking him.

"As long as he's talking, we'll have to be here trying to keep him somewhat honest and stop him from rewriting history,'' said John LeBoutillier, a one-term Republican congressman from New York who rode Ronald Reagan's coattails to victory in 1980.

LeBoutillier and his partner, Richard Erickson, plan to call it the Counter-Clinton Library. They said the museum here and one planned for Washington will look at such topics as Whitewater, Monica Lewinsky, last-minute pardons, even damaged White House furniture.

"We already hear he's going to bring a bunch of egghead economists to his library to say how great the economy was when he was president,'' LeBoutillier said. "And we'll find our own who can say it had nothing to do with him.''

The two partners hope to open their place the same day that Clinton's opens in November 2004. They said they will need $5 million. LeBoutillier said thousands of donations have come in, averaging $72. He would not say how much has been raised so far.

Dick Morris, a Clinton strategist who resigned in a sex scandal, has pledged insider documents, as has Gary Aldrich, a former FBI agent who wrote a best seller about Clinton's scandals.

"We think people will want to come out of the Clinton Library and head immediately down the street to us to get the rest of the story,'' LeBoutillier said.

Clinton has said that his presidency is being obscured and that his library will set the record straight.

The designer of the Clinton museum, Ralph Appelbaum, said the place will deal with Clinton's impeachment, but also will focus on how Clinton policies smoothed the political and technological transition into the 21st century and fostered economic growth.

LeBoutillier said Clinton's library needs rebuttal in a way that other ex-presidents' libraries don't.

"Reagan, Nixon, that's the past,'' he said.

"The problem is Clinton's still young, he's the most powerful force in Democratic politics and he would like nothing more than to erase the past so he can return to the White House with Hillary.''

Skip Rutherford, president of the foundation paying for Clinton's library, said he had hoped for a political cease-fire.

"The haters don't have to like or agree with Clinton, but they need to acknowledge that only 43 men have done this -- reached the pinnacle,'' he said.

"I think they need to move on with their lives.''

• George W Bush
    George W Bush

For a moment there I thought Hillary was already planning her library. She sometimes puts the cart in front of the horse you know.

But Bill was trying to be nice to me about the WMD deal so I thought I'd share with you

This Puts Clinton Into Perspective Doesn't It?: I know a lot of people were concerned about having someone with Bill Clinton's character running the show. But it could be worse, much worse. Take Elagabus, a 14 year old "hereditary priest of the Syrian Sun god, Elagabal" who ruled the Roman Empire from 218-222 AD. Not only did he try "to compel the Romans to worship Elagabal as their supreme deity," but he engaged in "sexual practices" that made Bill Clinton look like the pope...

"Leaving aside the number of his marriages (five in three years). he was a cross-dresser who reportedly frequented smarmy clubs where he prostituted himself in drag. He fell in love with and "married" a slave who was allowed to beat his "wife" (the emperor). He sought out the possibilities of a sex-change operation from doctors."

Eventually, the Romans lost their patience with Elagabalus and found and killed him and his mother in a latrine. Then they dragged their bodies through the streets and tossed them in the Tibur river.

That story makes a stained blue dress and an impeachment trial look pretty tame by comparison, huh?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

LOL. I didn't mind Clinton as President. This is a funny idea, though. They should do the same thing for all Presidents. It would be classic.

ash

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    they need to acknowledge that only 43 men have done this -- reached the pinnacle

Nit-picky Neon says: Technically, only 42 men have reached that particular pinnacle to date. The ordinal is only up to 43 because Grover Cleveland had two non-consecutive terms.

Just thought you'd like to know...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit