Adultery before becoming a JW???

by James Mixon 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

A young couple we were very close to, we both got baptized at the same assembly.

I knew the young man well, we went through grade school and high school together.

He served in the military also, he married before shipping out to Viet Nam.

I had heard of rumors about his wife while he was overseas. This guy was a virgin when he got

married, raised in a strict religious family.

Two years of marriage they were baptized as JW. The rumors were our friend and his wife.

OK, two years passed(4 years as JW's) and our friend came to town and dropped by to see him (he the JW

had also heard the rumors). Well he decided to squash the rumors and told his friend, my wife

told me what happen while I was overseas. Well he got an ear full and it just destroyed, he told

our friend to leave and never return and he called his wife (she wasn't home) and the elders.

She and the elders arrived around the same time. He told the elders he want a divorce, the wife

told him she was sorry.

The elder told him, this happen before you became a JW and must try to forgive but you don't

have grounds for a divorce, it's been over 4-5 years since this happen.

I saw the brother( not a JW) a few years back they divorced after 15 years, he told me he could not get over it, (adultery).

But he remarried and is very happy.

But the stupid elder, "this happen before you became a JW", as if adultery is fine if you are not a JW.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

From the JW elders perspective they are only concerned with people's behavior while being associated within the organization and to further extent if you've been baptized in their faith.

Don't be surprised by the fact that is quite common in other religious institutions as well.

Also don't be surprised by the fact that many JW elders were caught in acts of adultery as well pedophilia.

• violias
    violias
    It does not matter if they were jws are not. If he did not know about the adultery he has every right to make a decision about whether to continue the marriage or not. He can choose to forgive or divorce. That is his right. The elders should not have told him what they did b/c they are wrong.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

Yes ,it was a sad situation. I wonder if she had told him upfront maybe the marriage would

have survived, but the the guy was still coming around even after they became JW's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit