Religion, a part of the American way of Life.

by Gorbatchov 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Found this picture on the twitter account and it makes a wider perspective to me.

The JW religion is so part of the American way of Life, just like the other religions in the US.

In the JW growth rate country's there is a market for this "better" life. The religion makes it possible.

Western Europe had that marketing mix need after World War 2 and maybe a part of the cold war.

See the picture, and you know, the similarities with the JW religion, the change will be in details and not fundamental.

Gorby

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thank`s Gorby,

The Jehovah`s Witness religion is just another religion started started in America around the same times as the Christadelphians , the Christian Scientists ,Seventh day Adventists ,2nd Adventists, Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints,Assembly Of God ,? ,etc,etc. Some have been more successful than others however ,...

The bottom line is it`s just another American scam religion.of that era. to make money .$$$$$$

What financial benefit has resulted from the rank and file of any of these members ?..........ZILCH.

What financial advantage has resulted from the said religious organizations ? .....$$$$$$$$ .... in most cases Billions.of $$$

I rest my case

smiddy

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

For decades sociologists talked about the United States as being the exception among developed nations in that it hadn't become secular like Europe, Australia and Canada. In recent years however the United States has begun to secularise also: fewer attend church, or identify with a faith group, and more describe themselves as irreligious.

Some have suggested this trend began around 1990 and accelerated after 9/11 offering the following explanation. During the Cold War, when Russia was the enemy, America defined itself as being opposed to "Godless communism". American commitment to faith was thus connected with its opposition to the Soviet Union. When the Soviet system collapsed in 1990, so did one pillar which helped support American commitment to faith, their opposition to "Godless communism". Then when the terror attacks occurred in 2001 the new enemy was defined as "religious fundamentalists". This further weakened support for religion of any kind in America, as the enemy was now defined as religious rather than atheist.

All of this is on top of the regular processes of modernisation which tend to weaken the social power of religion.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Further to what SBF says, quoting from page 3 of the Pew Report of 12 May 2015:

[T]he percentage of adults (ages 18 and older) who describe themselves as Christians has dropped by nearly eight percentage points in just seven years, from 78.4% in... 2007 to 70.6% in 2014.

So in 7 years, the number of Christians in USA dropped by 10%. It is such a major change, that I am surprised more people haven't mentioned it. If that rate were to continue, USA will have a majority of unbelievers in around 20 years.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

SBF:

Very interesting. I also wonder if the proliferation of readily available information, knowledge and discourse made available by the internet hasn't contributed to the accelerated decrease in religious following. Another contributing factor may be more people live in cities than ever before, where philosophy, science, politics and sociology are staples of the average discussion. I know that in countries where there is either no internet or regulated Internet, religion is often still the mainstay of the vast majority. Yet even in those countries it's in cities where one is most likely to find those denouncing religious ideology.

• Perry
    Perry
    The JW religion is so part of the American way of Life, just like the other religions in the US.

I was raised to NOT BE a part of the American way of life. No, participation in govt., armed forces, holidays, friends who were not JW's etc. I can hardly imagine a more Un-American ideology.

• George One Time
    George One Time
    I had to look a second time at the picture!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit