UK Jehovah's Witness Child Abuse News - All The Links from November 20 and 21, 2017

by darkspilver 6 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

In reverse order

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2017

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2017

BACKGROUND - (Richard Davenport)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thank you, very useful. Eddie Mair is my favourite broadcaster so I listened PM one.

• annihilator
    annihilator

Thanks for the links!

One question why do we have to go to reddit to get the links?

Why not just post the links here!

• darkspilver
    darkspilver
    annihilator: One question why do we have to go to reddit to get the links?

Good question.

For starters this forum (which is excellent), and the Reddit EXJW subreddit are two quite completely different style of forums. But IMHO the balance has shifted in even just the last couple of months.

This forum has some great and relatively in depth discussions that span weeks, months, even years. It's also an amazing repository of discussions from over the last 15 years which SImon has thankful kept all online.

Reddit is much more 'linked' based and has relatively quick-fire discussions that last a day or so.

But in the end I think it boils down to three reasons - posting limits, engagement and numbers.

POSTING LIMITS: With the relatively strict posting limits imposed here (I believe I'm on 1 new topic and 10 posts per 24 hour period) for which I understand the reasons for (spam etc etc) But actually this works out to be a disincentive to post, in case you want to post something later, but can't, because you've used up your daily limits, sometimes without realising it (there is no 'counter', there used to be), and the post is queued until some unknown time later - posters here mention how their threads and posts turn up a day or so later.

ENGAGEMENT: Although you can not really compare the 'like'/'dislike' button here with the Reddit system of using the 'upvote' button... you do compare and there is much more engagement/feedback and posts on the Reddit EXJW subreddit . Of course that's partly due to the numbers.

NUMBERS: There's more people on the Reddit EXJW subreddit . Even allowing for 'throw-away' usernames. People can read both this forum and the Reddit without 'joining' but... the Reddit EXJW subreddit seems to show around 250-350 people 'online' at any one time.

When you post a new topic on the Reddit EXJW subreddit, you can see how times the topic has been viewed - generally for me it's around 400 to 900 times - some of the link topics I've started have had 1,600 to 2,600 views. If I'm going to post, more people will benefit if I post on Reddit.

With the huge child abuse news coverage yesterday, the Reddit EXJW subreddit gained it's second highest number of new subscribers in the last five years - some 340 new subscribers.

How many new members joined here yesterday? Two. And they are both spam bots, posting spam. That's a problem. (not the spam, but the lack of numbers joining).

This forum is always going to have the deeper, longer discussions which is great. Reddit is going to have the quick-fire, fun, get the info, type discussions.

Nowadays, I'm starting to post first on Reddit, and sometimes here, second, cut-and-pasting from my Reddit topics.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Nice one darkspilver.

Thanks

• darkspilver
    darkspilver
    March 13, 2018 - Elliott and Toni at Breafast: And we discover the latest developments from our investigation in to alleged child abuse by Jehovah's Witnesses.

BBC Radio - Victim Voices Interview - Listen From 1:10:00

• Simon
    Simon

Please don't post links to links, post the links instead - it's better for users and it's better for the publishers of articles who get more backlinks which may encourage them to do future articles.

The subreddit is poorly moderated, allows personal attacks and such links will be removed or converted in future.

POSTING LIMITS: With the relatively strict posting limits imposed here (I believe I'm on 1 new topic and 10 posts per 24 hour period) for which I understand the reasons for (spam etc etc) But actually this works out to be a disincentive to post, in case you want to post something later, but can't, because you've used up your daily limits, sometimes without realising it (there is no 'counter', there used to be), and the post is queued until some unknown time later - posters here mention how their threads and posts turn up a day or so later.

There are always limits needed both to protect against spam and the prevent people with too much time from taking over discussions. People who have refused to abide by posting rules have their posting limits lowered further.

The queue provides a softer limit though so that submissions are not lost (which would be frustrating), they are just gradually delayed. It usually only affects people who post the same thing over, and over, and over ... which is exactly what it's intended to do.

ENGAGEMENT: Although you can not really compare the 'like'/'dislike' button here with the Reddit system of using the 'upvote' button... you do compare and there is much more engagement/feedback and posts on the Reddit EXJW subreddit . Of course that's partly due to the numbers.

Like / dislike is often just a simple way to cut down on clutter in discussions of people saying "me too" or wanting to vent or express some displeasure about a comment but without starting an argument. They do play into the 'hottest' topics though (also, comments and recency of comments affect them). It's almost like I modelled it loosely on reddit or any of the other systems that did similar things before it.

NUMBERS: There's more people on the Reddit EXJW subreddit . Even allowing for 'throw-away' usernames. People can read both this forum and the Reddit without 'joining' but... the Reddit EXJW subreddit seems to show around 250-350 people 'online' at any one time.
    When you post a new topic on the Reddit EXJW subreddit, you can see how times the topic has been viewed - generally for me it's around 400 to 900 times - some of the link topics I've started have had 1,600 to 2,600 views. If I'm going to post, more people will benefit if I post on Reddit.

You don't see how many people are online here and how you count it really depends on what you consider 'online' and the length of a session (because the web is stateless).

As for view counts, if you count them at the server then you are often counting bot traffic. Many people do it because it's tempting to inflate numbers. There are endless bots and they can easily account for 80% of traffic (if you don't block them).

The reason I removed them is that they are a bad measure of anything (really, what does it tell you? that you should or shouldn't read the page you already opened? that you shouldn't read something until X other people have read it before you?) plus they are also a pain from a technical perspective because a 'view' becomes a 'write' (to update the count) and they need to be updated which kills cache hit ratios. I do have some solutions but never bothered implementing them because, well, I just don't see it as a valuable piece of information for most purposes because people don't know how to interpret it correctly. For stats on views, Google Analytics is a much better solution (maybe I can make some of those visible, I did experiment with embedding charts of views over time but again, wasn't sure what it really added)

For the record, we have topics that frequently have many thousands of views. Again, it depends what length of time it's measured over - if it's the lifespan of a topic then some on here have hundreds of thousands of views.

How many new members joined here yesterday? Two. And they are both spam bots, posting spam. That's a problem. (not the spam, but the lack of numbers joining).

I could say quality matters more than quantity, but yes, reddit has an advantage in that it's a subsection of a bigger site with existing users. I'm probably going to enable Google + Facebook + Twitter sign-in soon so everyone who visits then has an account already to sign-in and post with. I don't know if they'd then count as users or not? See what the problem with counting things is ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit