I'm happy about the increase

by StephaneLaliberte 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I know its weird to say something like this on this forum, but its how I feel about it. I feel that way cause I see that COVID has taken a tole on my dad who's growing older. Knowing that this will come as good news to him is somewhat comforting to me. The last two years were difficult for him. He stopped making talks and didn't get much out the "truth". So I hope this little thing will give him some encouragement to keep moving forward in his life.

Of course, I'd be happy for the numbers to go down, out of spite for a group of man reigning over other's lives in the name of God. I'd like these numbers to cut down by half to "teach them a lesson". That people are wising up to their bullshit and their lies and heartlessness. But then, when I think of my Dad, it could destroy him. Other JWs I care about would pull through with much more ease, but not my dad. I know he gets depressed. I believe that deep down, he knows it's all BS, but he keeps trying to convince himself that he's in the wrong. The longer he waits to confront reality, the more of his life is passing by and the more an epiphany would hurt thinking of how much of his life has been waisted in that group rather then pursuing things that truly mattered to him.

Anyways... its really weird to feel this way.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Anyways... its really weird to feel this way.

Not really weird.

You love your dad and don't want to see him suffer.

I feel the same way about many JWs who are enslaved to the organization and wasting their entire life away.

I wish I could help them but they are so indoctrinated that I can't.

There's nothing wrong with loving people and wishing they had a better life.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Pistolpete, that was a very kind and empathetic response.

As I was reading, I was thinking about how to respond, then when I got to your response, I realized that you nailed it.

We love our family members and hurt when they hurt.

That's the mark of a good person.

The fallacy of sunk cost is powerful. It truly is a bitter pill to realize you've wasted your youth, energy and best years on something useless and even harmful. Recognizing the truth of that is something that many people just cannot do.

It's a mark of love and decency to have compassion for them.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

GREAT TEACHER:

Good comments. Yes, people love their family members who are trapped in the JW religion (mostly because of sunk-cost fallacy although they’d never admit this).

I’m Glad I have no family members there but I have a few Witness friends I keep in touch with. It’s too bad I couldn’t even wish them Happy Holidays and Happy New Year like I would any other human being. That’s the shame of it all.

• waton
    waton
    the more an epiphany would hurt thinking

SL, the word L' Epiphanie brings back memories, of the 1950s, when we (as we know now) deludes zealots "worked " that town in Lanaudiere.

Another group of zealots with crowbars chased us out. (they had been working at re building their church)

"the love [for the truth] of the greater numbers will cool of" . may those beyond the capacity to face reality at least have that comfort of being given "a" for effort, have family, a good death, die satisfied.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''The longer he waits to confront reality, the more of his life is passing by and the more an epiphany would hurt thinking of how much of his life has been waisted in that group rather then pursuing things that truly mattered to him.

Anyways... its really weird to feel this way.''

No. Not weird at all. I concur with others.

The sunken-cost fallacy is true. It would pain people beyond recognition to realize their whole life was believing a 'lie.'

It's great you have that much compassion for your Dad.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''The sunken-cost fallacy is true. It would pain people beyond recognition to realize their whole life was believing a 'lie.' '''

& of, course naturally you have to throw in the ''confirmation basis'' issue on top of that too. By believing only what you choose to, when there is evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt to negate your existing beliefs.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

But then again, you can't help but always pick-up on the mixed-messages. Ultra cognitive dissonance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit