Gilead School Courses

by VM44 13 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

In the thread "Jehovahs Witness University" there are many humorous posts about what would be taught at a JW university. In the thread it was pointed out that the JWs do have a recognized school, Gilead.

What I have never seen is a list of the courses taught at Gilead. They must have some structured curriculum in order to grant a diploma. Does anyone know what the set of courses the Gilead students have to take?

--VM44

• shamus
    shamus

I believe that it's for missionaries... maybe they teach them the importance of the missionary position at all times..... who knows? What the hell are they learning that is so important there? Like 5 meetings a week wasn't enough....

And, what about pioneer school???? Gimme a break! I heard them say, "It's worth it to pioneer just to go to the school - you get so much information..."

Load o'crap.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

No idea, I know it has to deal with missionary training for distant lands most people that get in all well over 30 or 40.

Which started the original thread , what do you do with the 18-20 year olds except pioneer until they are ready for bethel (most over 25 if not 30).

I can see the Watchtower making up some new class for the younger ones, to try and slow down so many leaving.

I would like to hear what the Gilead classes are as well.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

If I remember correctly there is a presentation in one of the WTS videos "To the end of the earth" or so.

• blondie
    blondie

Here is what I gleaned from WTS sources:

g85 6/8 p. 25 Gilead Missionary School—‘Making Our Steps Ready’ ***

The training, of course, is designed specifically with this in mind. The curriculum includes (1) four Scripture study courses covering the entire Bible, chapter by chapter, (2) a course entitled Theocratic Organization, and (3) a course called Missionary Service.

g83 11/8 pp. 21-22 Gilead—The School Students Love! ***

There are five basic courses: Hebrew Scriptures, Greek Scriptures, Theocratic Organization, Foundations of Bible History, and Missionary Service. "The courses on the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures give basic coverage of each book of the Bible," says Redford. "Foundations of Bible History covers the history of religion and background world history that will help students to understand Bible prophecy. Theocratic Organization traces the history of God’s organization from its beginnings in ancient times until now. Missionary Service deals with the common problems that missionaries have in living in a foreign country."

yb71 pp. 59-60 1971 Yearbook of Jehovah’s Witnesses ***

The courses are:

Hebrew and Greek Scriptures: A verse-by-verse discussion, considering the purpose and objective of each Bible book and its meaning and application to those to whom the writings were addressed in ancient times as well as to the modern-day Christian congregation. Documented reports are presented by students assigned to certain Bible chapters, enabling the entire class to note explanations and references on the pages of their Bibles. The Watchtower and other Society publications are the chief reference sources. During the study of the books of Exodus through Deuteronomy there is a classroom presentation of legal cases based on the Mosaic law, with some students acting as litigants and others as judges of the cases. This course covering the Bible runs through the entire five months of the school term.

Doctrines: A course occupying one quarter (five weeks) of the term. This consists of a study of some of the basic Bible doctrines. The book "Things in Which It Is Impossible for God to Lie" is extensively used, as it covers the basic Bible teachings. This book is supplemented by Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God, "Then Is Finished the Mystery of God," "Babylon the Great Has Fallen!" God’s Kingdom Rules! and The Watchtower, to which the students are referred for research. Various methods are employed, including reports by the students, open discussion, panel presentations, and so forth.

Foundations of Bible History: A five-week course entailing a study of the history of mankind as outlined in the Bible, with special reference to the nation of Israel and the Christian congregation. Also, considerable attention is given to the ancient nations surrounding Israel and the development of the world powers of Bible history and prophecy. In this course the book Aid to Bible Understanding supplies much material.

Ministerial Activities (five weeks) considers the history of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society and the modern witnesses of Jehovah. The activity of Jehovah’s witnesses as ministers under the Society’s direction is discussed and demonstrated.

Language: Languages are taught according to the need, that is, according to the countries to which the missionaries are to be sent. The language course runs through the entire twenty weeks of the term. During the forty-eighth class three separate groups were taught Spanish, French and Korean. One group, scheduled to return to their own countries for missionary work in untouched territories, was taught a special course in "World History," which was an expanded course that supplemented "Foundations of Bible History." The forty-ninth class is studying Spanish, French and Portuguese.

• VM44
    VM44

blondie, Thank you for that research.

Notice some of the books they used in 1971. "Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God" there's a classic!

and "Babylon the Great Has Fallen!" God’s Kingdom Rules! which used to be on the WT CD-ROM, but was removed in the lastest 2001 version!

"...The Watchtower, to which the students are referred for research." Hmmm, "research" appears to mean only one thing to JWs, going through old Watchtower articles!

It is interesting that the lastest small piece of information was published in 1985, 8 years ago, and the most detailed info was published in 1971, 32 years ago. One is left with the impression that the Watchtower does not really want to discuss Gilead.

--VM44

• Gadget
    Gadget

The latest info is in the "To The Ends Of The Earth" video, from 1995. The back cover discusses, among other things, how missionaries are trained. I was going to watch it to find what the latest light on this was, but got so sick of it I had to turn it off!!!

• VM44
    VM44

I wrote: "...published in 1985, 8 years ago"

OK..where did those missing 10 years go to?

--VM44

• blondie
    blondie

Those courses in general are fairly current except for the publications used. We know people who went to Gilead in the 80's and still stay in contact with past and current graduates. It is still pretty much the same outline. They haven't taught language courses at Gilead for some time. Graduates spend about 8 to 11 hours a day in their assignment studying language.

Blondie

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

The WT.June 15,2003 pg.25. "WE WERE TAUGHT TO USE THE SCRIPTURES ON A NEW LEVEL".

From the 114th Gilead School Graduation on March 8,2003.

On a new level ? What new level ,it's not explained what that means.48 students now know what 6,000,000 members of the rank and file,including Branch,Zone,District,Circuit and Elders don't know????

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit