JW's lost their appeal to avoid investigation by a New Zealand Royal Commission

by AndersonsInfo 9 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

The Jehovah's Witnesses have lost their appeal to avoid investigation by a New Zealand Royal Commission. "A legal bid by the Jehovah's Witness church challenging a ruling by the Royal Commission of Inquiry into Abuse in Care has been dismissed by the Court of Appeal."

• Listener
    Listener

It's disgusting how the organization does everything it can to avoid scrutiny of their damaging policies rather than humbly accepting assistance to improve.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Hooray! Time to grill the bastards.

Not that anything of use hasn't already been shredded, of course...

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

They welcome scrutiny... of anyone else.

I'm sure their experience with the ARC left quite a sour taste in their mouths (and pocketbook). I can only imagine what will be revealed in this inquiry.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The Golden Age of court victories is a thing of the past.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Well done and congrats to Rachel EXJW @RapunzelAwake and all the New Zealand Apostates for all their hard work!!!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

We really see what this organization is really all about

When it comes to legal matters or things which could affect the bottom line. $$$$

• karter
    karter

They can appeal to the supreme court and my guess is they will.

They have a $1000 ( about $600 usd) an hour Kings Council lawyer and his high priced hangers on .

My hope is the supreme court will not hear it.

They have awarded cost to the crown so keep those donations comming they need it.

Karter.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I reckon that they'll appeal. They have much to lose and keeping out from under another inquiry benefits them*. You can't bet on a court result, generally, so their bet could pay off, should they decide to appeal.

The WT is trying very hard to strain out the gnat of the wording "in care". The royal commission has already decided that the WT is within its ambit. Even if the supreme court sides with the WT, what's to stop Parliament establishing an investigation specifically into CSA as handled by the WT?

I can't imagine the royal commission pussyfooting around, once they have the WT in their clutches. With the precedents from the ARC and Norway, this time around they'll be well informed and know what to look for.

As usual, the WT is playing the "religious freedom" card. Religions are afforded various freedoms by governments, but there is one freedom that they don't have: the freedom to handle and investigate criminal matters and to exclude government police and judicial processes.

*The upper management, of course.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

"We welcome transparecy."

"Great! We are starting a commission to investigate CSA..."

"L-leave us out of it! We mean it! We'll sue!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit