How did you feel when they eliminated the Con. Book Study?

by Freeandclear 53 Replies latest jw friends

• St George of England
    St George of England

We had our CBS in the KH. Every week as soon as the meeting finished we had tea and cakes and sat around chatting for an hour or so. Despite rubbish publications it was a good meeting.

As soon as it was abolished I decided to use the time to do personal study. The first time I went on the internet and looked up Jehovah's Witnesses I came across jehovahs-witness.net. My world changed at that point!

George

• prologos
    prologos
    After the cancelation, the same time-slot, was now monopolized by the ego-maniacs in the congregation that felt they are god's gift to men, rather than the dozen voices or so heard in privacy. I liked the quality delicatessen brought, and we held the book study on saturday morning before the field service, allowing the camouflaging of your fade.
  • nevaagain
    nevaagain

I had a bitter sweet relationship with the book study.

When I was young, we had the book study on sunday morning. While I didnt care about the book study, I never stayed long to socialize because my dad wanted to go to service asap after it ended. Also good thing was, that it was at our home. So while I didnt mind the book study and some times even enjoyed it, I hated to leave for service.

Later when the bookstudy was during the week and not in our home anymore, I started to miss it. I would make excuses, sometimes even arriving late home. Then I would tell my parents, that they should finally get rid of that, but never really believing that they would and to my surprise they did! But its not that I had something against the book study, but it was one more day that I had to get ready for a "meeting". It would have been even better to get rid of the mid week meeting.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I was long gone when this occurred, I found the BS pointless and boring like every meeting we'd drag ourself to, I was also vocal in asking why the 90/hrs per month for pioneers had to be enforced, total lunacy and nothing short of wastefulness, wondering what next is to fall?
  • Thomas the Bill Engine
    Thomas the Bill Engine
    I think I was about 9 or 10 when they took away that meeting and Tuesday's (Along with "Goody Night", not sure how many congregations did that but I was devastated when it was removed. I guess we weren't enjoying the food in the name of the lord or something). I was glad to have a free night, but not-so-glad when we suddenly were required to sit for an hour and listen to the bible anyway, in the form of Family Worship. In a way Family Worship is even worse than going to the meeting for an hour and doing the book study. But that's just me.
  • sir82
    sir82

I was shocked, but quickly recuperated when I realized that it would mean one less meeting that I'd have to rush to after work during the week.

I'd wager that no more than 50%, probably far less, of JWs actually do anything differently than before, regarding "family worship". To most I suspect it's just another night they don't have to get dressed up and go out - a relief.

• Room 215
    Room 215
    There was a lot of post-meeting banter among the friends who hung around after the closing prayer for cookies, etc. which I think unnerved the control freaks. Looking back it's another step in the "top-down" plan to centralize and inhibit individual expression.
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai
    I was quite frankly shocked. I was also relieved. There was a certain family element that I liked about the book study and goody night once a month was nice, too. I don't miss having to read the Revelation Grand Climax book in a foreign language, though. That book was brutal. I never kept up with the changes that we were supposed to paste to the book and as a result the other members would chuckle as I read the un-edited version of it.
  • Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub
    Can anyone remember what year they stopped the CBS?
  • Divergent
    Divergent
    Should be 2008 / 2009

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit