The Mormons are building new Temples while Watchtower is downsizing.

by greenhornet 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• greenhornet
  • mynameislame
    mynameislame

You think it shows they have god's blessing? I'm sure they do.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

To me The mormons are just another cult. When they go to church they all wear business suits and ties. The women wear long dresses. However there women can wear anything they want outside of church. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQrIbBqV2Ew

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Mormons are in decline, more so than JWs, but they have more money, so they can afford to keep building.

There’s a good blog on Mormon growth here, which generally gives the most positive spin.

http://ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com/

It’s not difficult to read between the lines, even in this pro-Mormon blog, that Mormons are struggling in most countries.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

A little curious about the Stirling video posted. I wonder if it is intended to portray some story from the Book of Mormon. I've watched a few videos recently in which the Mormon beliefs about the population of the Americas. Historically it is ridiculous; it is astounding the lengths they go to to find 'evidence' to support their previously-arrived-at conclusions.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

re. the OP...

The WT isn't so much "downsizing" as it's (apparently) refocusing its attention on a TV/movie studio.

If I had to guess, I'd say they'd been advised that the Branch, Kingdom Hall, and Assembly Hall sales weren't gonna keep the Org afloat much longer (not to mention that their tax-exemption might be at risk before too long)...

...so they had to come up with something bigger to put on the market.

Vidiot

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    dropoffyourknee - "...it is astounding the lengths they go to to find 'evidence' to support their previously-arrived-at conclusions."

The Org actually tried to do that back in the day.

Unlike the LDS (apparently), when it started to became painfully apparent that no such evidence was forthcoming, they just stopped looking, and simply demonized any outside sources that had refuting information.

Much easier.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I've actually given this some thought as to just why it happens, and I've come to suspect that...

a) ...because the church leadership becomes convinced that every little imaginative flash of "insight" that pops into their collective heads is divinely-ordained (and no one tells them otherwise, 'cause they've surrounded themselves solely with people who are never allowed to disagree with them), they simply assume that any evidence that become apparent will naturally vindicate them, and...

b) ...back when the theology was originally crafted, the world was so much bigger and science was so much less advanced that disproving a belief with actual hard evidence (as opposed to verbal testimony) was way more difficult... and therefore - for all intents and purposes - not worth worrying about.

I could be wrong.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I would think Watchtower should be considering updated business models.

They should think about the televangelist/megachurch model.

Keep large assembly halls for the faithful that want to and are able to show up for services.

Home broadcast for the rest.

This could be successful as long as they don't give in to the temptation to denigrate those that only watch at home as 'less spiritual.'

And I think that would be their go to.

They've got to stop shooting themselves in the foot.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    GrreatTeacher - “... This could be successful as long as they don't give in to the temptation to denigrate those that only watch at home as 'less spiritual.'...”

I absolutely guarantee you they would not be able to resist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit