Russellites ----> Bible Students ----> Jehovah's Witnesses

by Wild_Thing 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

In my experience, the JWs always seemed to shy away from much association from the term "Russellites". Most are wiling to accept that Bible Students took on the name Jehovah's Witnesses, but they seem to disavow much association with the term "Russellites".

Is this perception true? Does anyone know if there is anything in their literature after 1931 where they admit they are the same group as the Russellites?

I am aware that the Russellites splintered off into several smaller sects (which is why they might want to disavow them), but that also happened under the Bible Student name and the Jehovah's Witness name, too.

• blondie
    blondie

Bible Students pre-1931 organizationally always stayed away from the term "Russellites" viewing it as prejorative. My grandparents were members of the WTS pre-1931 and said they always referred to themselves as Bible Students, not followers of a man like Lutherans.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In my experience, the JWs always seemed to shy away from much association from the term "Russellites"

Some of that is due to fact that the WTS has been pretty quiet about C T Russell for over a century.

I was brought up in the JWS during the 1960's , 70's , 80's and I cant recall any article by the WTS about Russell.

In spite of the fact that Russell was the founding person who started Zion's Watchtower Publishing. Since many of Russell's teachings were inaccurate and false ( Pyramidology ) its no wonder to why the WTS has been quiet.

.........and then the Inter- net came along

• blondie
    blondie

Actually they shied away from the term "Russellite" from the beginning when uninformed people or "enemies" used it before 1931 and after as a prejorative term much like "holy roller" is used of some religions.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    Bible Students pre-1931 organizationally always stayed away from the term "Russellites" viewing it as prejorative. My grandparents were members of the WTS pre-1931 and said they always referred to themselves as Bible Students, not followers of a man like Lutherans.

So even though they didn't like that term used for themselves, did they admit that there was a connection? That at some point their group of people were one and the same?

If so, I'm wondering when it went from "we don't like to use that term for ourselves" to "Russellites who?"

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't think they ever accepted the term, in any period. Russellsm is similar pejorative, used by outsiders only.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Interesting. Thanks for your help, guys! Blondie, I can always count on you for a historical perspective!

I thought they referred to themselves as Russellites when Russell first started the movement. I have read in old newspapers where they refer to them as Russelites. I just assumed that was what they called themselves. I didn't realize they were always called Bible Students.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

wild thing,

such a term would never have really been used in the early days because the groups were fairly independent groups of "bible students", many of which came to accept Russell as their "pastor" and subscribed to his various publications. most of these groups were leftovers from 19th century Adventism (the millerite movement and its offshoots)

As for denying a connection to Russell, of course JWs officially acknowledge a connection to Russell and those early Bible Student groups. They do so in all of their "historical" accounts about the organization. What they don't do is discuss how much their current theology is different from Russell's teachings.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Wow Oroborus21 how is your project for JW renewal coming on?

It seems to be going in the opposite direction.

• Giordano
    Giordano

A simplified chart of historical developments of major groups within Bible Students.
    Apparently none of these groups used Russell's name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit