Skin of My Teeth

by WhatshallIcallmyself 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Hi

An evidence for divine origin that has often been used (at least to me) is where Job describes "...escap[ing] with the skin of my teeth". Science is quoted as having discovered that teeth are covered in skin and therefore how would Job have known something that modern science has only just discovered.

I was reminded of this at this weeks meeting when this verse was quoted but was surprised when a commenter said how it wasn't necessary to mention this in light of other "evidence" in the Bible. It stood out as odd as the usual MO is to tout any and all perceived inspirations in the Bible.

Having just looked up the official reasoning I see that this line of thought is now being encouraged: " It does not seem to be necessary to endeavor to explain Job’s statement in the light of discoveries that scientists have made in recent times with the aid of microscopes.". So what has changed? Or has this always been the official line?

Incidentally I always thought equating a biofilm to the epidermis was extremely tenuous...

• Absolutesbeginners
    Absolutesbeginners

You right .

The "Job' s skin's teeth" is THE THING

It is the "OFFICIAL LINE "

Life is wonderfull of surprises isnt!!

It IS an evidence for DIVINE ORIGIN !

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Job describes "...escap[ing] with the skin of my teeth".

Gee how did Job know that if he was an adult when he supposedly spoke that, if that is the assertion ?

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger
    Job was obviously quite eloquent and had heard of hyperbole. Which is more than can be said for the feckless idiots posing as scholars in the WT writing department.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Discovery of "skin" on your teeth! Bible proven scientifically accurate!

So what if there's not literal skin on your teeth? You're just looking to find fault! It was meant figuratively!

And so it goes with every bible verse. The lucky guesses are prophetic, the failures are figurative or hyperbole.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit