Figured out why I woke up from all this

by bradford 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bradford
    bradford

I have always thought that I figured things out when I decided to research the generation, 607, 1914, etc.

I had an epiphany and realized it was triggered much earlier. About 2 years ago for some odd reason, while I was a very solid Witness, I started reading the news, landed on a random article about scientology, and eventually a book written by Jenna Miscavige called Beyond Belief. She writes about growing up in the religion, the leaders who she was related to, and how she left. I guess it would be the same as Anthony Morris' niece writing a book about Jehovah's Witnesses.

Anyone else read this book or have a similar experience?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I didnt read the book. I have a similar waking though. As strong as I could be as a witness it all just fell apart for me. Before I jumped into any outside ttatt. That was a disturbing second level.
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Yes, I read the book years ago and saw the similarities to JWs.

And thereafter, joined an EXScientology discussion site.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    One early influence I had was reading an article that posited that AA was cult-like. Several of the criteria for judging a guilt that they listed cited JWs as an example of a cult. While I initially rejected the thought, it lingered and I began to see things through that lens from time to time. That definitely helped me approach the idea that I was in a cult.
  • bradford
    bradford
    I think I was immediately in denial of the similarities but the connection was made and it was only a matter of time.
  • Alive!
    Alive!

That's interesting - because years and years ago, I read some sort of 'cult' tick list - can't remember where or how - I just remember I found it disturbing...I didn't feel comfortable. I was absolutely 110% devoted JW - it was years later that points from that list popped up in my head....I guess I knew something was wrong....or did I?

In the last two years, I've been floored re the Cultic trends and behaviour of the organisation.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Looking back, it was realizing evolution had to be true, for me.

Then realizing which other things the Org was wrong about.

• Ding
    Ding

If someone accuses the WT religion of being a cult, a JW's defenses will go up.

But if someone exposes the cultic aspects of another religion and a JW sees the similarities with the WT system, there is no "opposer of the truth" to argue with...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    What Ding said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit