UK: Time to punish the Covid 19 PROFITEERS!

by BoogerMan 6 Replies latest social current

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

Laws have been very quickly created in order to oppress & suppress UK citizens' basic freedoms and rights, while profiteering - thanks to the mantra of "supply & demand" - is allowed to flourish with nothing being done by the government to penalise companies who are more than likely reducing production of PPE in order to inflate their prices. (Oil companies have done likewise for years)

"Apart from actually finding the equipment, there are other problems. Costs of this equipment have gone up from £5 to £50 for boxes of simple masks." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52913826

• Simon
    Simon

Without a profit motive, you wouldn't have a lot of things - it ensures supply. This principle applies to things like bottled water in a hurricane scenario - someone has to keep stock and without any profit motive, why would they?

We want people to produce more of something, that often means extra costs in equipment and manpower that has to be paid. If, at the same time, you limit what people can charge then you end up punishing the very companies that could help and it becoming a disincentive to do so in future.

I saw an interview with a Canadian company that was refusing to supply extra because they said last time there was a rush on things and they invested in new plant to satisfy it, and hired workers, the second the emergency was over the government reverted to buying cheap shit from China and they nearly went under.

People who have things should have the right to sell them for whatever they want. The people buying always have the right not to purchase.

• Earnest
  • Quetzal
    Quetzal
    Without a profit motive, you wouldn't have a lot of things - it ensures supply. This principle applies to things like bottled water in a hurricane scenario - someone has to keep stock and without any profit motive, why would they?

This is correct. I believe the Canadians did the same when there was over production of their Maple Syrup that almost ruined the whole industry. They had to control the production and price to make sure the business model is sustainable. That pissed off some people though

Even the JW had to cut cost, magazine reduction and massive lay offs in order to stay in business.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I was curious when the recent elder letter said WT magazine orders for congregations would be cut 50%, because as far as I know local JWs have not received any literature at all for months. Are other countries still receiving shipments of Watchtower literature?

Are they sending bethelites home because of the lack of work to do? Even in this situation? What if they have no home to go back to?

• Quetzal
    Quetzal
    Are they sending bethelites home because of the lack of work to do? Even in this situation? What if they have no home to go back to?

There will likely be a big head count cut once they know they can safely send people packing. Without the public preaching, printing magazines is now a pointless exercise. Corvid19 has highlighted a lot of issues with the business model of a lot of organizations. For the JW, this will likely accelerate things and major changes might be in the works.

They seem to be preparing for major reduction/sell off of KH in the UK based on the current charity merger initiative.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

QUETZAL:

Wow, another bumper crop of bethelites to be dumped!

This is really the worst possible time for this to happen to anybody.. At least those let go a decade or so ago had actual congregations and halls to go back TO..maybe a job?..Any bethelite looking on back then had to know this could happen to them..Now, the economy is totally shit with this Covid thing.

The Witnesses that are actually left in the congregations have been hit up for money left and right and I’m not sure they have another cent to be squeezed out of them. I’m sure there will be frantic appeals for anybody to open up their homes to a bethelite!..Imagine the nerve?

All this is the worst possible scenario and I am very glad I got out of Jehovah’s Witnesses years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit