Has this been posted? Crystal Lake, IL ...elders not reporting case

by carla 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• carla
  • Biahi
    Biahi

I live near here, and know one of the elders…I did bring it up here.

• SnakesInTheTower
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Interesting, the WT instructions are clear , and were in 2006, that in a place that requires mandatory reporting- the elders report. Were they following guidance from Bethel? They should have done......

• Earnest
    Earnest

BluesBrother : the WT instructions are clear , and were in 2006, that in a place that requires mandatory reporting- the elders report.

The elder sought legal advice from Bethel at the time and was told (by legal counsel) he had no legal obligations under the Illinois law to disclose any information. The Illinois law (735 ILCS 5/8-803) includes clergy penitent privelege which relieves any reporting requirement.

Sec. 8-803 states that

A clergyman or practitioner of any religious denomination accredited by the religious body to which he or she belongs, shall not be compelled to disclose in any court, or to any administrative body or agency, or to any public officer, a confession or admission made to him or her in his or her professional character or as a spiritual advisor in the course of the discipline enjoined by the rules or practices of such religious body or of the religion which he or she professes, nor be compelled to divulge any information which has been obtained by him or her in such professional character or as such spiritual advisor.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Yes, their whole defense is that they were “just following orders” from the branch. So someone’s head should roll, if not these elders, then whoever gave this advice at the branch. I say weekends in jail for 1 year. Maybe they’ll even wake up!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If Illinois law does not require it due to the religious exemption, then the problem is NOT with the Branch or the Elders. The problem is with Illinois politicians. There is a huge Catholic voting block (esp in Chicago) and I suspect a politician wanting to get re-elected isn't going to piss off the local Diocese.

• carla
    carla

Sorry it already has been covered, guess I didn't use correct key words.

Justice sure moves slowly doesn't it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit