They still call it Pizza but it doesn’t taste like it anymore.

by Fisherman 8 Replies latest social current

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I remember as a kid that a slice of pizza was a dime, the same price for a large bag of M&Ms or a large Hershey’s bar or an ice cream popsicle, box of cracker jacks, bag of potato chips, bus fare. The dimes were made out of silver and many of them were mercury dimes with the dates worn off.

…And while nowadays except for the pizza, everything tastes about the same only now costing 10 times as much, bus fare costs 28x as much and pizza costs 40x as much:

The so called pizza is made with artificial cheese and cheap ingredients everywhere you go. For some years a few pizza joints continued to use real cheese and ingredients and it was a delight to eat, same taste as the dime pizza of old, very tasty and satisfying with real gooey cheese. Now they’ve stopped and all pizza shops have deteriorated and serving artificial pizza that is a waste of time to eat using fake cheese and cheap sauce. People still eat them because that is all there is everywhere you go.

How is the Pizza where you live?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FISHERMAN:

Unless you go to a ‘Little Italy’ somewhere or a neighborhood that is predominantly Italian, you won’t usually get good pizza nowadays!

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

When you're Italian, you know real pizza and bad pizza.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

A lot of places around here, the pizza doesn't taste much different than the box it's delivered in.

Once upon a time a long time ago I worked in a pizza shop and learned how to hand toss dough without getting it stuck on the ceiling or dropping it on the floor (most of the time)😜. So we just make our own pizza at home, turn the oven way up to 500 degrees, bake about 8 minutes, whatever sauce/toppings we want, it's not "Little Italy" but it tastes better than eating a box. Mangia-mangia!🤤

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIVNdnJwd-U

😁

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

Lots of great independent Pizza places in my city.

Do you live in some godforsaken podunk in Alabama or something?

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

Not Alabama...somewhere further north more like this😜...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U2RDvBHaOM

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"bus fare costs 28x as much"

I haven't taken a bus in ages, so I checked my city's website. An unlimited 30 day pass is $50. That doesn't seem terribly expensive. The main drawback to a bus, at least in most of the US is that investment in public transit is minimal. I remember in my early 20's, I was without a car for a few months. I took the bus to work, and what would have been a 10 minute car ride took an hour on the bus because of the convoluted route it had to take to try to serve as many people as possible.

A number of things have come down in price. When I was a kid, getting a new TV for the living room was a major household purchase. Now you can get a 58 inch for less than $300 dollars.

Cars feel like they are much more expensive in real terms. When I was shopping for a new car 3 years ago, some of the prices made my eyes water. But they last much longer and are much more reliable. I remember when a car with 100k miles on it was most likely a heap of junk. Now, as long as you follow the servicing schedule, 100k is no big deal.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

Even though I live in figurative "East Podunk" now, at one time I went to school/worked in an metropolitan area.

"The main drawback to a bus, at least in most of the US is that investment in public transit is minimal. I remember in my early 20's, I was without a car for a few months. I took the bus to work, and what would have been a 10 minute car ride took an hour on the bus because of the convoluted route it had to take to try to serve as many people as possible."

"Bummed is what you are when you go out to your car and it's been towed" because then you need to take the bus. True dat.😝

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MVjxP4vI0rQ

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

There were a couple of places in NYC that made really good pizza. Both had shut down years before I left for the midwest. There are pizza places out here, and some make a good pizza, just not as good as what I remember having in NYC. You wouldn't think that a paper-thin slice of cooked dough with a bit of sauce and cheese would be such a big deal, but that's still what I think of when I think of good pizza.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit