When I Was School Overseer . . .

by compound complex 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• compound complex
    compound complex

we were instructed not to give public counsel to the students, but to use the two minutes alloted afterwards to supplement, from the Aid Book, the subject matter presented by the students. The following information on Jehovah's answering of prayer came to mind when replying to another thread moments ago.

Doubtless, our viewpoint on this and other scriptural matters has taken on a new direction -- if any at all. Having worked on this Bible dictionary while at Bethel, I retain a fondness for it. Nevertheless, there is what we now KNOW and what we once BELIEVED.

CoCo

"The seeming delay on God's part in answering some prayers is not due to any inability nor to a lack of willingness, as the Scriptures make clear. (Matt. 7:9-11; Jas. 1:5, 17) In some cases the answer must await God's 'timetable.' (Scripture citations) Primarily, however, it is evident that God allows his petitioners to demonstrate the depth of their concern, the intensity of their desire, the genuineness of their motive. (Scripture citations) At times they must be like Jacob in his wrestling long in order to obtain a blessing. (Scripture citations)

"Similarly, while Jehovah God cannot be pressured by numbers into acting, he evidently takes note of the extent of concern shown among his servants as a body, taking action when they collectively show deep concern and united interest. Where apathy, or a measure thereof, exists, God may withhold action."

AID TO BIBLE UNDERSTANDING, "The Answering of Prayers," page 1331, paragraphs 2, 3.

• possum
    possum

After a prominent elder on a shepherding call opportunistically sexually assaulted our small child we protected him via the 2 witness rule. AID TO BIBLE UNDERSTANDING, "The Answering of Prayers," page 1331, paragraphs 2, 3 sound quite innocuous and put the onus on the publisher. Interesting that gods timetable of 12 years wasn't long enough for us to demonstrate the debt of our concern, intensity of motive. (completely emotionally shattered living on antidepressants knowing/waiting we would not be believed until another child was sexually assaulted) Heaven forbid we pressure Jehovah god into action to protect children in the congregation he evidently takes note of the extent of concern shown among his servants as a body(the local body of elders not too concerned he was there best mate),. We must be Too apathetic for Jehovah s clean organisation so reported to police and submitted to Australian Royal Commission.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

That's why I wait for my child to scream for an extended period before I go into their room and help them. Just like my god, I want to make sure their need for help is genuine.

Oh, wait, my god already can read my heart and knows my concern, desire, and motive. My bad. I guess the reason he delays taking action is because he's just a prick.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear possum and OneGenTwoGroups:

I'm so sorry for what you and yours -- children -- have suffered and that this information has triggered bad memories. It's a wake up call for me, thinking as I did, at one time, that the above information would be a comfort to all who listen and heed it. Well, it is not a comfort. As a JW, I felt that my expounding WT wisdom was a healing to those in spiritual distress, like one size fits all. So naive. So very wrong.

Again, my most sincere and humblest apologies. Sometimes I feel I should apologize to all those I preached to and studied with. Now that I am painfully aware of dissent and disaffection, I wonder how many mute souls in the KH were really seething with anger when I dispensed Jehovah's "loving counsel" from the faithful and discreet slave.

Love,

CoCo

• possum
    possum
    Compound Complex Thanks so much for sincere apologizes. We are all in the same boat. That organisation took advantage of our sincere desire to please Jehovah god (and men if we are honest) and we where controlled with distorted/unbiblical teachings. We appreciate being able to interact with fellow survivors who prove by their behavior on this site that they are far from mentally diseased, demonized persons not fit for the company of jehovahs witnesses (thank goodness). So gratefull that you use this forum to share your extensive knowledge (which is power) WT loss is our gain! It works toward a healing for my family so thank you for posting and continuing the good fight. Mustn't let all those years of theocratic ministry school training go to waste! thanks again!
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, dear possum, for understanding. I know that I'll sleep well tonight.

Best wishes to you and your family.

CoCo

• Zoos
    Zoos

Most people, myself included, would read that explanation of how prayer works and think nothing of it, even a non-believer just shrugging it off as an innocuous fairy tale. It never would have occurred to me the devastating effects of that one single aspect - wait on Jehovah in prayer - could have on people who are mentally locked in, and in certain desperate situations.

I SHOULD have known, having spent my youth trying to "pray away the gay" and finally concluding I must have done SOMETHING as a child to make God hate me. Spent the next 15 years in a bottle of vodka.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit