"The Shack" by William P Young helped me to Deal with Life's Big Questions

by HomebytheSea 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HomebytheSea
    HomebytheSea
    I would probably call myself an agnostic, but this book helped me to deal with many of life's questions in a way WT never could. If helped me alot when I started questioning WT teachings. Has anyone else read it?
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Yes, an exJW friend recommended it to me during the tumultuous time of questioning Jw teachings. Parts of it were slightly sappy to me, but it still got me bad. I was crying all the way through. I still think about it often. Oddly, I just recommended it to someone today in a PM who was asking me what she should read.
  • HomebytheSea
    HomebytheSea
    I agree that it was slightly "sappy", but the thought that everything will be alright in the end was really helpful. I thought of it because of the mass shooting in Oregon. It helped me to deal with the fact that everyone is broken in some way, & that maybe someday we'll all be OK, not just the 1% who are JW's.
  • Awake at last
    Awake at last

It was recommended by Alan Jones, a top rating breakfast radio host in Sydney, Australia a few years ago. I read it while I was still in. I never felt the same afterwards. I don't credit it to any awakening as I was already unhappy.

Definitely a good read and would recommend it. I am going to read it again soon.

• HomebytheSea
    HomebytheSea
    It was one of the most spiritually uplifting books I've read, along with a few books written by the Dali Lama. I think you can receive spiritual insights from many places, you just have to be open to them. I also think that, if there is a God, he or she has revealed himself in many places, since different people are drawn to different things.
  • jhine
    jhine

Yes I've read it , and I thought it was wonderful . I know many people in my church read it too , one of them lent me their copy , saying it was a must read . Very thought provoking .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit