I think my Sunday speaker is awake

by Yondaime 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

They are taught this at the Gilead school, this could have been one of the brothers that does the teaching.

With so much ttatt available today they are prepared to discuss the past with the wheelies. They put their slant on the information. They are so happy to use the past to show how far they have come. They have no shame in spinning it any way they can.

They even say that God knew what his people needed at the time, that is why the charismatic Russell led the people initially and the tougher Rutherford took over.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

ttdtt -

Maybe something has changed recently. The use of script readers for conventions has been reported for several years. This was not the case when I was giving public talks back in the 1960s, but I've had several ex-elders and former relatively high ranking brothers who were actually assigned to be script readers at district and regional conventions.

I do believe that this is a relatively new development (since 2000, probably) - the script readers sitting off to the side or behind the curtains at assemblies. I have also heard that brothers assigned to give the 30-minute public talk during the weekend meetings are also cautioned not to go off script or face the loss of that privilege.

Much has changed since the era of 55-minute public talks developed and given by mature brothers who filled in the gaps and added some of their own experiences to the outlines that we were given.

I attended a recent convention near my home a few years back. It was the Saturday afternoon session when they first released the first cartoon DVD for children (2011?). There was a group of 15-minute presentations that were interviews with local full-time pioneers describing how they overcame their money and personal needs in order to put in 100 hours a month - or whatever it was at the time. I could tell that the those interviewed were either reading their notes or had memorized their presentations word for word. It all just seemed so rehearsed and unbelievable, but I thought that was my "inner apostate" talking.

Later I happened to meet a former elder who had left the JWs at a meetup. I mentioned my observation. He told me how the process worked and about the offstage script checkers. Later, I met another former elder who told me that the script-readers were real. He also mentioned that sometimes the presentation by the "pioneers" really does not represent their lives (often the same exact "pioneer talk" is given at several different convention locations). The local elders recommend JWs who are serving as pioneers or elders and then they are given the script to read and told that they are representing other exceptional pioneers - not themselves personally.

It's all very scripted. I still can not get over the sing-song style that most JW speakers use now - far too practiced and rehearsed - just like the JW.org videos and training sessions on disk.

JV

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Juan Viejo2 It's all very scripted. I still can not get over the sing-song style that most JW speakers use now - far too practiced and rehearsed

Hell yeah! It drives me mad, I don't know how the modern witnesses can stand it...talk about a witnesses being a culture...its almost become an actual JW " dialect"

• Hecce
    Hecce
    The speaker is out of the "reservation".
  • elbib
    elbib
    Bethelites sometime do such blunter. In my congregation too it happened. A bethelite gave a public talk on the biblical incident of 10 lepers being cured by Jesus, yet only one of the returning to thank him. It was not an outline-talk. Later he was counselled by Bethel higher ups.
  • Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    Steve2: the 1920's ARE the early 1900's. Lol
  • Syme
    Syme

That the Bible Students expected Armageddon to come in 1914 is no secret; it is written in the Proclaimers books, among other publications. The 'faithful' ones don't consider this a counter-evidence of divine guidance. They consider it as just a fact that showed how deeply and truly the Bible students were longing for Christ's coming.

The thing with him not reading any Bible verse is a bit curious, though. At least a few years ago when I was active, the orders were to read from the Bible directly, especially in a public talk. But, Bethelites tend to bend the rules for themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit