N.H. Barbour As the "Evil Slave" Quote From "Blood on the Altar"

by jacobm 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jacobm
    jacobm

I think the book Blood on the Altar, may have a misquote (or maybe it is just me reading it wrong).

P. 41, para. 1:

"Pastor Russell took the place of Mr. Barbour who became unfaithful and upon whom was fulfilled the prophecies of matt. 24:48-51..."

The book give the reference of the Zion's Watchtower July 15th, 1879, p. 8 (http://jv.somet.dk/tekster/WT_1879_07_01.pdf). I didn't see any evil slave reference there. Is the author of Blood on the Altar quoting Rutherford's later view?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Jacob:

The quote appears in the 1917-1918 Finished Mystery Book, See bottom of scan. But I didn't find it in the 1879 Watchtower either. The 1879 Watchtower refers to Barbour as (Brother B.) and John H. Paton is referred to as (Brother P.). Those references come from letters that were written by Russell and so forth about the split-up and money etc.

http://postimg.org/image/xgv2l0wer/

Atlantis!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think Rutherford used this same evil slave description onto people who wanted to adhere to Russell's teachings

such as Pyramidology during the IBSA schism breaking apart upon his dropping some of Russell's theological

thoughts. Seems like whenever you want to demean someone for not supporting your own doctrines, you call

them down as being the " Evil Slave" class.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Finkelstein:

Seems like whenever you want to demean someone for not supporting your own doctrines, you call

them down as being the " Evil Slave" class.

--------------------------------------------------------

Yep! That's about the size of it! I remember when my brother who was a regular pioneer with the rest of us bought a Dodge Demon automobile. It wasn't long before he was being classified as part of the evil slave class.

Atlantis!

• CubanGringo
    CubanGringo
    Am I wrong in remembering this being applied by Russell to his ex wife? I have a vague recollection of that occurring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit