Oil is solar

by wolverines 8 Replies latest social current

• wolverines
    wolverines

Oil and gas are from organisms plants and animal that used sunlight for food. So in essence we are all running solar.

• waton
    waton

so is freshly cut, dried fire wood, coal and even hydro-electric power. dam it. even wind turbines . How about tidal, nuclear?

• Half banana
    Half banana

Sun worship at least had a rational basis..... but why worship anything?

• wolverines
    wolverines

I don't think Nuclear is sun based. I don't believe that they are even based on the same process. If I am not remembering incorrectly the Sun runs on fusion and a Nuclear power plant runs on fission.

• waton
    waton

the Sun runs on fusion

W: Out star right now is fusing Hydrogen, but older stars fused (created) all elements, even while they imploded. so:

Genesis 1:1 is wrong, The earth, with all i's elements, Carbon in Oil, was not "created in the beginning", but during the 9 billion years of prior forging. Our beginning was just foraging by gravity.

All we know is, that energy can not be destroyed or created. It existed eternally before the beginning of the matter of our universe.

Oil is stored energy. uncreated energy. Fusion is too.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    I don't think Nuclear is sun based.

All atoms and elements found on Earth were forged in the nuclear ovens of (long dead) stars.

So in a way even nuclear power in 'sun' (star) based.

Of course the real question is not whether or not the energy we use is Sun-based or not.

The important question is: does the energy we use destroy our planet or not, and is it sustainable long-term?

• Half banana
    Half banana

They have been saying that terrestrial nuclear fission (imitating the sun) as an energy source is always thirty years away. This hope moves forward like the promised JW paradise but unlike the WT dream, nuclear fission will become technically possible.

The difficulty is in handling a proton plasma at 18 million degrees Kelvin then getting a means to contain and utilise the super abundant energy without damaging anything. Once we have an unlimited energy source in theory it would be possible to control even the weather. The consequences will be profound. Probably a new global geo political system would arise which would require universal education, maturity and social mechanisms to cope with changes.

It could eliminate poverty which is currently one of the prime drivers of religion.

• waton
    waton

Hb: The process is actually called fusion. the secret is to keep it at a distance, and magnetism. But why do you think lowering the price of energy, of a gallon of gas or a kilo watt of electricity will end religion?

• Half banana
    Half banana

Damn it! fusion not fission... thank you Waton.

Eventually the use of nuclear fusion will lead to great changes, not damaging to the planet and an immense resource of energy. But what they said of nuclear fission in the 1950s was that it would lead to cheap abundant electricity... it didn't happen!

It's an interesting story to watch the developments of fusion in China where they have so far held a temperature of 18 million C for one minute -- or so they claim -- and the Jet project near me in Oxford where they are using laser containment and of course the international Tokamak project ITER in Provence France using magnetic containment.

However with a reservoir of vast surplus energy from fusion, great engineering and technological possibilities will exist.

No, just reducing energy costs in itself will not lead to social change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit