Brooklyn Eagle November 12, 1911: Shows that this cult has been breaking up families at least for 105 years

by ILoveTTATT2 6 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    I am doing investigation on the early history of the Bible Students / Jehovah's Witnesses. One resource that is turning out to be extremely useful is the Brooklyn Eagle.

The Brooklyn Eagle was a newspaper that had a lot of animosity against the Watchtower Society. Who knows? Maybe there was an ex-Bible Student there...

This appeared in the Brooklyn Eagle of November 12, 1911. It is so sad that even 105 years ago people could see that this cult destroys families (see after the "one more" paragraph)

EACH RELIGIOUS EDITOR ANSWERS RUSSELL ATTACK

Franklin P. Sellers Tells How He Presumably Incurred the Dislike of the "Pastor."
    DIDN'T PRINT SERMONS FREE.

Tells of Call From Man Whose Tale of Sorrow Was Inspired by Russellism.

Editor The Brooklyn Daily Eagle:

At the risk of being still further slandered, I must set down two or three things which I know about the "Pastor" Russell outfit. I have been quiet long enough. The first thing I know is that this borough has been literally strewn with a certain copy of the Brooklyn Tabernacle People's Pulpit, in an article in which several slurring references are made to the religious editor of The Eagle by leaving off the last letter of his name and boldly charging that this paper has been sold by him. The writer of the article is well known, but I have no desire to answer such a ridiculous charge in face of the standing which I am proud of having among the clergy of Brooklyn and, in fact, of the United States, who are not purchasing newspaper mention any more than I am receiving pay, except in the way of recognition by my honorable employers. I do possess a watch, highly prized, which was given to me as a testimonial by five ministers of the gospel, whose names are held in high esteem throughout this country and the world.

On the other hand, the religious editor of The Eagle has been approached not once, but many times, by agents of "Pastor" Russell, and his time taken up, hours together, in an endeavor to prove to him that the publication of "Pastor" Russell's sermons would add to the circulation of The Eagle at least 10,000 copies a week. I was told that I could have two columns a week at 25 cents a column. I had the temerity to say that that was too cheap, and this I suppose, increased his animus. It is not generally known, as acknowledged by Russell's agent, but it is true, that the only way In which the papers of New York City will print Pastor Russell's sermons, and this has been true for a year or more, is by his syndicate manager paying regular display advertisement rates, even if said sermons are dated Brooklyn, "On the Sea," London or elsewhere. The Eagle has charged for them, too, and probably made a sore spot in the Tabernacle outfit by so doing.

Another thing I know. For very good reasons I never attended held by "Pastor" Russell in the Brooklyn Academy of Music, never wrote a [???] about any of his meetings, nor about "Miracle Wheat," and therefore have never written any "snicker" about "Pastor" Russell or any of his followers. I have boldly said to his agents that I did not believe in his doctrines and that I knew his "Millennial Dawn" book had caused many a domestic entanglement. I am a private citizen and have a right to criticise [sic] any public teacher, but I have no right to defame anybody in print, and have never done so, and would be ashamed to pen the "Billingsgate" which "Pastor" Russell's editor has written under the heading "An Eagle Transformed." I am quite sure, also that "'Pastor' Russell Interviewed" was never written by the "pastor" for he was on the sea, I ant given to understand, when it was dictated.

Once more. Nearly two years ago a man of education came to see me one Sunday morning. He was from Chicago. His face bore marks of great trouble. He desired me to give him the names of some ministers who had previously held pastorates in Pittsburg, which city was the headquarters of the "Pastor" Russell outfit before finding it probably more comfortable to come to Brooklyn.

My visitor, a true gentleman, had no harsh words for any one, but he was greatly distressed and was looking for a way out of it. He said that his married life had been supremely happy up to a year or two previously. There were two sons and two daughters. He had money in his own right; his wife had money in hers, they being about equally rich. It had been the custom, he said, for him to maintain in the household, as he was in a provision business, and, it was agreed that neither was to use the other's surplus, about $45,000 each, but that his should go to the boys and hers to the girls. But the wife through constant visits from one of the Russell agents, became enamored of the doctrines and told him her money would be given to "Pastor" Russell. This distressed him, and he tried to dissaude [sic] her on account of the agreement between them. Several conferences over the matter were held, but to no avail, and finally the wife said that if the husband did not stop talking about it she would give her money to Russell before she died.

The man was anxious to know what could be done. The sequel I never learned. I made bold to ask a Russell agent If the "pastor" would take money under such circumstances, and received the evasive answer that it would depend upon how the money was given. This was another way, probably, in which I got myself disliked and for which I am made subject to slanderous attacks. But the whole outfit is welcome. My standing is secure because I try to behave myself, and am succeeding very well and have never been in the courts.
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    By the way, $45,000 in 1911 comes out to $1,110,608.23 in 2016 dollars. So the Russellites managed to swindle at least $1M from this woman. This shows a man worried that his wife was going into a cult!!
  • jaydee
    jaydee
    fascinating.......Image result for newspaper emoji....thanks
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious
    The Brooklyn Eagle has many excellent articles on the early days of this maggot movement.
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious
    The Brooklyn Eagle has many excellent articles on the early days of this maggot movement.
  • Dagney
    Dagney
    Interesting.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

It is like a sneaky serpent shape-shifter that entices people in with sweet phony promises and then they feel stuck!

Too bad there was no internet or any way I could have known this about the JW religion...I could have saved myself time and aggravation!

Live and learn!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit