request for my e-mail with a link to the forum

by smiddy 8 Replies latest forum tech-support

• smiddy
    smiddy

I have a request to click on a link verifying my e-mail account is that legit from you ?

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

Or is it someone trying to hack into my computer ?

smiddy

• Chook
    Chook

Hey smiddy I'm not a computer hack but ask a Jw what is happening and they will tell you your secondhand computer has demon possession . Bloody computers they sometimes have a mind of their own , plenty of people attacking them with hammers. I think one of our computer geeks will solve your problem, just tell them there is smoke coming from the wires.

• smiddy
    smiddy

LOL Chook ,but that doesnnt answer my question ,however on reflection if I can still access this forum with no problem all I need to do is ignore the e-mail request and just delete it.

problem solved

Bugger off hackers !!

• stillin
    stillin

When I get unwanted e-mails, I have always hit the unsubscribe link and entered my e-mail address so be removed from their list. Now I wonder if that's the thing to do. They already have it or I wouldn't have gotten an email from them. Maybe it's malicious, I don't know. There are lots of weasels out there who are way ahead of me!

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

When I get unwanted e-mails, I have always hit the unsubscribe link and entered my e-mail address so be removed from their list.

Love the irony

But just incase - for anyone that doesn't get it - FWIW:

5 things you should know about email unsubscribe links before you click

We all get emails we don’t want, and cleaning them up can be as easy as clicking ‘unsubscribe’ at the bottom of the email.

However, some of those handy little links can cause more trouble than they solve.

You may end up giving the sender a lot of information about you, or even an opportunity to infect you with malware.

Of course, not everyone who sends you mail is a spammer and if you know that a sender is trustworthy it’s safe to unsubscribe.

Unfortunately phishing attacks rely on the fact that it’s very, very easy to fake who and where an email has come from so it’s all but impossible to be 100% sure who has sent you an email.

Here are 5 reasons why unsubscribing can be a bad idea, whether you do it by sending a reply email or opening an “unsubscribe” web link:

1. You have confirmed to the sender that your email address is both valid and in active use.

2. By responding to the email, you have positively confirmed that you have opened and read it and may be slightly interested in the subject matter, whether it’s getting money from a foreign prince, a penny stock tip or a diet supplement.

3. If your response goes back via email – perhaps the process requires you to reply with the words “unsubscribe,” or the unsubscribe link in the message opens up an email window – then not only have you confirmed that your address is active, but your return email will leak information about your email software too.

4. If your response opens up a browser window then you’re giving away even more about yourself. By visiting the spammer’s website you’re giving them information about your geographic location (calculated based on your IP address), your computer operating system and your browser.

5. The most scary of all: if you visit a website owned by a spammer you’re giving them a chance to install malware on your computer, even if you don’t click anything.

READ MORE: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/09/04/5-things-you-should-know-about-email-unsubscribe-links-before-clicking/

• Simon
    Simon

The system never sends an email unless one has been requested. There are two scenarios:

Either is was a spoof email, designed to try and trick you into revealing your sign-in information.

Someone with a similar address to yours made a typo.

Either way, if you have any concerns about the legitimacy of an email you should forward it to me - ideally the original message with all headers (you can get this in Gmail with the "show original" option). If it's still in your recycle bin, please do this so I can check.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Here you go Simon,

admin@jehovahs-witness.com

please confirm your email through the link below

confirm my account

jehovahs witness discussion forum 1 jw.org community information

Sorry i`m PC illiterate so I just copied it out as it reads.

I hope that helps.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Smiddy I think Simon means for you to forward the whole email to him using your email software. I'm just sayin' cos I know your in different time zones

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit