Using congregation funds to pay for medical costs

by the girl next door 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Did it ever happen in your congregation?

It did in one of mine a decade ago. Not only were funds on hand in the congregation account used but repeated announcements were made to contribute towards the medical treatments for an elder’s wife who was battling breast cancer.

It created a divide not only in the rank and file but also among the elder body. It was a stepping off point for several families.

The argument made was, why should one person benefit from congregation funds for an emergency when nobody else can or has?

It was a good one. Many families were struggling severely and some with health issues. They did not receive the same favor or outreach.

Was this bending the accounting rules? Or were they more relaxed then? Anybody else ever see something similar happen with congregation funds?

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, that's out of order - it's not a personal insurance policy for the elders families! The problem with something like that is where does it stop and why? Who qualifies and who doesn't and why?

I know of halls that used KH funds to bail out a company that was pretty iffy. It helps if you have connections to the elder body I guess. But they're decisions are all sprit directed, obviously.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Looking back at the time, I just went along with it. I felt bad for the “sweet sister” dying. I had no idea the politics going on behind the scenes until a year later when 5 elders moved out. 3 of them left the org all together. Even then I didn’t put it together that them leaving had anything to do with the accounts until I ran into one of them years later and he told me about it.

I wonder, how much cagey stuff goes on in the “elders club” that us idiots had/have no clue about. Also, when it is exposed, shouldn’t that entire congregation be shuffled and another BoEs installed?

• steve2
    steve2

Just out of curiosity: Did the treatment help? Did she survive?

• I Faded Twice
    I Faded Twice

Funny thing is the same people that would get upset about the use of funds to help heal a person with cancer. Is the people that would say it's ok to pay to hide pedos.

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

Not to mention but isn't this kind of "hand in the cookie jar" illegal in the eyes of the government as a non-profit? Throw a few of them in jail along with the one,s hiding the pedofile documents.

• keinlezard
    keinlezard

Hello,

In France, I've heard ( and had web page dedicated to this case ) an brother who need money ffor a surgical operation ... the bethel refuse to give money .. and congrégation too ... and this brother's family made and web page to find fund ... and at same time ... Béthel says "no advertising , no appeal for donation must be made"

( is it really "made" ??? )

Best regards

• stillMS
    stillMS

In terms of accountance rules - they obviously differ from country to country. In our country, for Instance, there are no state rules forbidding help to congregation members. Which is more there are rules to make it properly from a legal standpoint.

Nevertheless, the borg policy is to have cash flow go only into one direction (guess which one:) ).

In the congos I know, there was no single case of helping ill jdubs from the congo funds - but in the times before 'the rise of theocracy' we could just collect money for someone who is sick bypassing the donation box.

Such a policy has resulted in deaths that could possibly be avoided - but who cares :( .

• Simon
    Simon

I think there's a difference between a group of people in a local church deciding to raise funds / donate to help some individual or family and taking money that has been donated for one use and using it for another purpose that benefits certain individuals, especially when there is a connection between the people who benefit and those who manage the finances.

It's just ripe for corruption and scamming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit