Bible History

by Phil 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phil
    Phil

In January 2003 I posted a message requesting some history on the JW Bible. Unfortuneately, I tried to copy the information and for some reason it would not print. I then posted another message explaining this delema. Then the format of this web changed and I lost the location of this information.

Would the person that answered my question so well mind sending that information again to me at [email protected]. I would appreciate it.

• Buster
    Buster

Phil: Just in case you still haven't been able to get answers to the questions you say you ask JWs, let me thro in a point or two:

• The JW's New World Translation (NWT) was translated by a committee led by none other than their doctrinal leader, Fred Franz. He is the JWs most pervasive thread thru the 20th century, culminating in his presidency during the 90's. You will be able to find out all you would like about him on this site, once the Search function is available.
    • Fred Franz claimed to be a scholar in both Greek and Hebrew. He was neither, either by skill or education. He did go to college, and he did take some Greek - a year or two.

It wouldn't surprise me that JWs you may speak to have no such knowledge. Only old-timers would know. The WTS claims that the authors are not attributed in their WTS publications because they do not want to encourage any false idolatry. A cynic (me?) would claim that they hide from scholarly scrutiny.

(I posted this earlier in another thread that you had responded to)

• Phil
    Phil

Buster

Thanks for the reply. The other reply that I refer to in my message was much longer and detailed. However , it did include the information that you mention. It appears that the scholars in the world are not in sync with the beliefs and doctrine of Christian churches(or vice versa). Of course it goes without saying that the more recognized scholars do not even address JW as a bonafide belief system. Some of the things that these scholars are saying would knock the socks of most religious people.

Perhaps the person who wrote the message I read and lost will come forward or the search feature will be available soon.

• Phil
    Phil

I understand that the JW Bible was based on the King James Version. Is there a thread where I can obtain all the changes that were made to the KJV.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Buster, I was just thinking earlier today about the fact that jws make no atrributions as to writership of their material, due in their view to humilty but in my view nowadays to avoidance of scrutiny. Interesting that you pointed that out.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hi Phil. The NWT was not based on the KJV. According to the foreword of the NWT:

*** Rbi8 p. 6 Introduction ***

HEBREW TEXT: The Masoretic Hebrew text used for the preparation of the English text of the Hebrew Scripture portion of the New World Translation was the Codex Leningrad B 19 A (of U.S.S.R.), as presented in R. Kittel’s Biblia Hebraica (BHK), seventh, eighth and ninth editions (1951-55). An update of this work known as Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (BHS), 1977 edition, was used to prepare the footnote apparatus of this 1984 edition. Italicized words designated as "Heb." are transliterated from BHS.

GREEK TEXT: The basic Greek text used for the preparation of the English text of the Christian Greek Scripture portion of the New World Translation was The New Testament in the Original Greek, by Westcott and Hort (originally published in 1881). The Greek texts of Nestle, Bover, Merk and others were also considered. The Greek transliterations for the Christian Greek Scripture portion of the Bible, identified as "Gr.," are from the Westcott and Hort text as reproduced in The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures (1969). In the Hebrew Scriptures "Gr." refers to transliterations from the Greek Septuagint (LXX), by A. Rahlfs, Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, Stuttgart, 1935. Other Greek sources have been indicated by their respective symbols.

While the source material they used is very creditable, the quality of their translation has been seriously, and rightfully, questioned.

You might like to check out http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/nwt.htm and http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/mislead.htm to see some of the pro and con comments.

Craig

• Phil
    Phil

Does anyone know the why and wherefore of the change to the Bible where the NWT has "Jehovah" substituting all other descriptions of God, such as savior, lord etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit