The Gist of it.

by Dia 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dia
    Dia

For as long as I've been here, I have continually been trying to learn, 'what is the thing that JWs have in common?', 'what is it that connects them?', 'WHY do people become a JW?'

I think maybe I've figured out something important. Tell me what you think.

I think that the thing that JWs have in common is that they have completely lost faith in EVERYTHING. Religion, government, people, their fellow man.

And what they seek is to be in the company of other people who feel the same way. And to solidify that company beyond question.

What do you think?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

[brown] It appears to me, considering the end of the world and escape from wrath obsessions, that they are a group of people who are basically scared of a god, most likely because they have not treated their fellow as their soul would prefer, but rather as their spirits have led them to.

Hence, rather than live in harmony with the universe, they work at appeasing the imaginary nasty being who "gets people", or in older biblical words, 'it is their sin that separates them'.

I do not believe that they trust in the Almighty being good and kind, but rather strict and demanding. The effort to appease a rulemaker even leads to a modern day 'sacrifice of virgins', i.e. dying without blood transfusions. Like older tribal cults, they are willing to sacrifice and be sacrificed to escape an imagined terrible wrath.

"Pay the god his dues" is the religion of jwism, and I believe that it is the type of god who is an "image of a beast" described in the dream of John's revelation - it is their invented job to appease the beast and to get us to do the same thing also (because he's gonna get us if we don't).

Well jw, he's not, if anything only you are, or will attempt to within your again imagined restraints.

It is sad, but as it is written 'He will wipe away every tear' - man will evolve to be more than shown by your cult, and as sad as your branch is, at least it will not endure[/ brown]

Edited by - a paduan on 26 January 2003 4:32:23

• Dia
    Dia

Profound.

In other words, sounds like...guilt...?

Edited by - Dia on 26 January 2003 8:5:4

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Dia,

I would have to disagree with the lost faith in the government part because there are a lot of people here that were once JW's that have a great deal of faith in the government and were obviously quite patriotic while they were part of the borg. However I'm sure it does apply to some JW's....

I think a common factor amongst the Witnesses is social status and education. It would be quite interesting to survey how many Witnesses have an educaton beyond high school. Also, their message appeals to the poor or struggling middle class society that are frustrated with their life - the JW's offer a bright future and those struggling with life and are in tight situations soak this up.

I think also a lot of people become Witnesses because of the warm, friendly environment of the Kingdom Hall. Granted a lot of halls don't have this environment, but in general the Witnesses are known worldwide for a wonderful, warm brotherhood of people from all walks of life, and that is something hard to find these days. It definitely makes an impression on those exposed to it for the first time.

Lastly, I think what attracts people is the way they answer any question you may have from the Bible. They've got every topic covered and to the person that has not researched religion and theology, it does make sense, especially if that's the only explanation you've ever received.

They've definitely got quite the sales pitch and it's hard to see through it unless you're educated on history, science and religion.

My two cents worth. :-)

-back2dafront

• raistlin_majere
    raistlin_majere

Fear and ignorance.

Fear is their motivator. Ignorance empowers them to control the minds of others.

Heres my best JW impression.

At first they dazzle you with this bright shiny object...Everlasting life on a utpoian earth... oooo pretty isn't it?

You want that dont you? Live forever, nothing to worry about, perfect health... yeah nice isn't it?

Well you can only get that if you are a "true christian". And you are a true christian if youa re a member of the JW's and you show you are a "true christian" by bringing more people into the JW's and we'll teach you how to do it. You see first you look at them and you dazzle them with a bright shiney object and say "You would like to live on a paradise earth where no one dies or get killed or gets sick don't you?" And then you say that you can only get into this utopia if you are a true christian... blather blather blather.

Repeat Circular Logic until nauseous and are lying on the floor twitching in paraoxysms of self induced guilt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit