This one's for JanH...

by ianao 9 Replies latest jw friends

• ianao
    ianao

Hey JanH. Remember the chat earlier today?

Buddhism: The doctrine, attributed to Buddha, that suffering is inseparable from existence but that inward extinction of the self and of worldly desire culminates in a state of spiritual enlightenment beyond both suffering and existence.

Doctrine: A principle or body of principles presented for acceptance or belief, as by a religious, political, scientific, or philosophic group; dogma.

And yes, *I* used the term philosphy.

As I said before, in western(mostly theist) terms, this means to us that anything and everything is God (since we rely on God for spiritual enlightment). Excuuuuuuuse me for not being 100% technically correct in something that I've said regarding abstract ideas as creation and theism. in a flipping chat room.

there's also another definition of Buddhism...

The religion represented by the many groups, especially numerous in Asia, that profess varying forms of this doctrine and that venerate Buddha.

I think I was arguing #1, and you were arguing #2. It's a real shame that we got side tracked, as I think you would have added a lot to mine and flowerpetal's discussion in the chatroom. Perhaps next time.

• JanH
    JanH
    Hey JanH. Remember the chat earlier today?

Indeed.

In a part of an exchange where you said many otherwise sane things, you asserted that "If you don't believe in God, you believe in "gods". All throughout human history."

Naturally, I objected to this, as it is a false statement.

A God-centric view of religion is typical in the western world, as it is dominated by the big three monotheistic religions.

However, as I pointed out, the largest eastern religion, Buddhism, can not in any sense be called theistic. The next statement from you was particularly silly, when you claimed that "Buddhists believe everything and anything is "god", so they have a view of "god"."

Here, you obviously confused Buddhism with the central tenet of (one form of) classical Hinduism, a totally different religion. Hinduism states that Atman is Brahman.

Buddhism, however, most certainly does not.

Which is why you had to come up with a really silly argument: "And that is correct for religions. You however brought up a philosephy (sp) called buddhism."

It is more than odd to claim that the third largest religion in the world is not at all a religion. It has temples, doctrines, holy men, monks, chants, prayers, etc. If your definition of religion does not cover Buddhism, ianao, it is safe to conclude that it's your definition there is something wrong with.

It was obviously as part of this somewhat foggy line of argumentation you came up with this (see above for full text):

Buddhism: The doctrine,...
    Doctrine: philosophic

Yes, the argument by dictionary. Of course, religions have doctrines, and they have philosophies. This does not mean anything. A philosophy can have a doctrine, without being a religion. A political system can have doctrines, without being a religion. You may have heard of the "Truman-doctrine" in American politics. That is not part of a philosophy, and neither a religion. In the same way, that the word "philosophy" occurs in a definition of both these words, means nothing. Your line of argument is one that betrays shallow and shoddy thinking on your part.

It is certainly the case that it is impossible to draw a clear line between religions, philosophies and ideologies, as they have similarities. Yet, to assert that a major religion like Buddhism isn't a religion, is outright silly.

Scholars from the East often consider it a sign of western-centricism to even say that Buddhism is a atheistic religion, because it (while technically correct for some forms of Buddhism) implies that having gods is the really important dimension of a religion. It is precisely equivalent to say that Christianity is an "a-nirvanic" religion by not having any idea of a Nirvana. True, but generally not very helpful.

As I said before, in western(mostly theist) terms, this means to us that anything and everything is God (since we rely on God for spiritual enlightment).

And here it gets even worse. In orthodox theism of both Christianity, Islam and Judaism, it is precisely the point the the opposite is the case. To say that God is everything is called pantheism. God is, in orthodox Christianity, trancendent and beyond the universe.

Whatever the message you try to convey, it is flawed from the start. You build on a total lack of understanding of the issues you want to discuss.

Excuuuuuuuse me for not being 100% technically correct in something that I've said regarding abstract ideas as creation and theism. in a flipping chat room.

Indeed, you manage to be even worse in this flipping discussion board. Of course, you may want to cling to your cherished fantasies, but if you want to communicate meaningfully to your fellow humans, it is a good idea to first make yourself slightly familiar with the topic at hand.

- Jan
    --
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate." - Occam

• ianao
    ianao
    I think I was arguing #1, and you were arguing #2.

Re-stated for emphasis.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I will give ianao G for use of emphasis and gestures

I will give Jan W for Timing (he could never read all that in 6 minutes.

hugs

Joel

• willy_think
    willy_think

buddah teaches, all life is suffering.

he teaches all things are buddah things

he teaches that all things are one thing

he teaches that all life is one life

he teaches that we are all buddah, the one and only buddah

he teaches that if we let go of our attachments we will see for ourselves, the grate void, that is real life

he teaches there is no suffering

a mother, farther and daughter are working around the house the farther said, "budism is hard" the mom said, "budism is easy" the daughter said, "budism is not hard or easy, budism is."

only the daughter knows what budism is

try reading the teachings of the great budda christ on there own. just what he said, not what you think he ment to say. i think you may come to know why i call him the great budda.

not too long ago the buddists and the catholics had a convention.
    the priests of boulth religions faught like cats & dogs about the details of both faiths, thay got nowhere. (i know buddasts call them selves, all monks, but thay are not)

the monks from the two religons got on fabulously, thay found no differences, for thay were men who have a personnal expereinces with the oneness of all things. the others were functionarys of the churchs-- not the same thing at all as living delibratly

the ideas and opinions expressed in this post do not necessiarly represent those of the WTB&TS inc. or any of it's subsidiary corporations.
  • joelbear
    joelbear

I like pancakes with buddah

• ianao
    ianao

JanH:

I was going to start knit-picking at you the way you are knit-picking at me. (Even though parts of your retort are taken out of context).

Since I was also talking to someone else about a question that THEY had for ME, and you only came in on part of the discussion, I will DROP the subject, as both are arguing on false pretenses.

NOTE: This means that you WON the argument that YOU started referring to a statement I made to someone else in context to a line of thought that never really got finished because of the argument that YOU started. I hope you enjoyed destroying the original discussion. (I note how flowerpetal could have corrected me if she felt I was in error).

Perhaps the buddhist that apparently misinformed me did not know enough about their own religion, and they were a in form of buddhism that you say technically consider themselves an theistic religion. Who knows. Thank you for setting me straight on these matters though.

BTW: The original "idea" I was discussing with flowerpetal has NOT changed from this "discussion", as your argument was out of context to the point of view I was trying to convey. If you apologize for calling my ideas "rubbish", I will apologize for calling you a slanderous liar for insulting me with knit-picky arguments based on YOUR assumptions of MY thought processes.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

A "flipping chatroom"...and "this
    flipping discussion board." Oh my, I am confused! I don't know whether I should throw, toss, turn, twist, flick, somersault, or go crazy. Nevermind, I think I will drink an alcoholic flip.

I'm so impertinent, errr, or do I mean flip?

Sorry, gentlemen, just my attempt at a little flippant humor; how silly I am.

• ianao
    ianao
    As I said before, in western(mostly theist) terms, this means to us that anything and everything is God (since we rely on God for spiritual enlightment).

And here it gets even worse. In orthodox theism of both Christianity, Islam and Judaism, it is precisely the point the the opposite is the case.

I do not confuse THEISM and PANTHEISM. "this means to us" was in reference to Buddhism from a western point of view, although in reading the original post I can see where someone could misconstrue what I was trying to say. I've already apologized in the chatroom, your turn here.

I'm sorry for calling you a liar for correctly reading an ill-composed post by yours truly.

Thank you for clarifying that one statement was rubbish in the chat room instead of all of my ideas.

Maybe the both of us can start acting like adults now.

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

I am in school, and we just covered the chapter on religions in my World History class. As I understand it, Buddhism is an atheist religion. Period. It appeared in several texts, websites, and my World History book, so this is what I will stick with.

"No cool quote yet. But i'll think of one soon."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit