Was Peter a Pope?

by SwedishChef 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

The entire concept of the papacy is of pagan origin. The title pope, or universal bishop, was first given to the bishop of Rome by the wicked emperor Phocas in the year 610.
    Catholic doctrine states that Peter was the first Pope, suggesting that Matthew 16:15-19 is in reference to the papacy. However, such a concept is ludicrous and should be regarded as such.

Matthew 16:17-19 "And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Jesus is not proclaiming Peter to be the Rock, for this is none other than Himself. Jesus Christ is the foundation and the Rock and the head of the Church as other Scripture verifies.

Deuteronomy 32:4 "He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he."

1 Corinthians 10:4 "And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ."

1 Corinthians 3:11 "For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

Ephesians 5:23 "For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body."

Ephesians 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Christ is the Rock, not Peter. Also, the Greek word for Peter is "petros" meaning "a little stone". The word for rock is "petra", meaning "The Rock". Peter was not special for being called a stone. For the Bible says that we are all stones built upon the foundation that is Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 2:5 "Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ."

The keys that Jesus gave Peter represent the authority that He gave every believer. Notice Matthew 18:18 has the same phrase and Jesus is not talking only to Peter. As believers God gives every one of us the authority to say "If you do not believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ you will be condemned." We also have the authority to say "If you do believe on the Lord Jesus Christ you will be delivered."

As clearly taught in the Bible, Christ is the Rock. There is nothing found in the Bible which remotely resembles the papacy.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

You make a good argument. Thanks.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Interesting opinion. It could also be understood that Christ was praising the quality of faith that Peter was demonstrating and the word "rock' is a metaphore thereof. In spite of this Peter later denyed Him three times. Re-read the account and see if "faith" is not the foundation upon which His "church" would be founded upon.

carmel

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Carmel,

I get what your saying, and I suppose it could be interpreted that way. However, in light of other Scripture, as pointed out above, I still believe that Jesus Christ was speaking of Himself as the Rock.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I don't think Peter was a Pope. I pulled out some older issues of the WT and he appears dressed like everyone else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit