Maybe I'll be there to shake your hand...

by Derrick 0 Replies latest jw friends

• Derrick
    Derrick

The year is 1974 and the countdown to Armageddon is nearing its Grand Climax (tm). There is more electricity in the air at Kingdom Halls throughout the world -- as field service groups meet in anticipation for one last plea to apathetic 'householders' whom we believe will seal their fate by either accepting a free home Bible Study or slamming the door in our faces. Even those who politely reject the kingdom message by politely saying "sorry, not interested" are facing certain death as armies of avenging angels riding legions of horses descend from the Heavens to Earth to execute every man, woman and child who does not bear the mark of a baptized Witness of Jehovah in good standing.

Almost 30 years ago young men and women who are now ensconsed in multi-billion dollar New York real estate owned by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, now in their 60's and older, were once youthful idealists knocking on doors and handing out leaflets on street corners to pedestrians. These idealistic youth embraced surrealistic hopes that in 1975 the corrupt system of things -- things that comprise polluting technologies that doom mankind to extinction and a failed system where each person is unable to live in peace and harmony with their neighbor and nature -- would abruptly end. In its place, the God of the Bible whom they called by name would usher in an unending era of peace and security, restoring mankind to eternal youth in what was affectionately referred to as 'the new system.'

The following song so perfectly embraces these illustrious ideals of our youth, and serves as a reminder to future generations that false hopes lead to failed expectations. The true God works on a timeline that will serve many generations to come, and we should never expect to escape death in our journey toward eternal life.

The last line of this song, by the way, should be the purpose behind every individual Jehovah's Witnesses ministry in bringing others to an accurate knowledge of God and Christ through the Bible. May God steer the organization back to this purpose from which it has strayed so far.

SHARE THE LAND
    The Guess Who

Have you been around?
    Have you done your share of coming down on different things that people do?
    Have you been aware
    You've got brothers and sisters who care
    About what's gonna happen to you in a year from now?
    Maybe I'll be there to shake your hand
    Maybe I'll be there so share the land
    That they'll be giving away when we all live together
    Maybe I'll be there so share the land
    That they'll be giving away when we all live together
    I'm talkin' 'bout together now

Did you pay your dues?
    Did you read the news this morning when the paper landed in your yard?
    Do you know their names?
    Can you play their games without losing track
    And coming down a bit too hard?

Mmm, maybe I'll be there to shake your hand
    Maybe I'll be there to share the land
    That they'll be givin' away
    When we all live together
    I'm talkin' 'bout together now

Maybe I'll be there to share the land
    That they'll be givin' away
    When we all live together