Anyone here from Cuba?

by zenpunk 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I'm going to Cuba on a college trip (couldn't have done that as a JW ) and I would love to meet any xjw's from there!

• maximumflash
    maximumflash

I lived in Guantanamo Bay from 1985 to 1990. Very hot down there. Don't wear anything long-sleeved on the plane. When you get off, you will melt.

And watch out for the Banana Rats, kind of like a large rodent, they are the stupidest animal on the planet I think. They sit in the middle of the road waiting for a car to come. Then when the car gets right up to them, they jump into your grill. Suicidal critters.

I only lived on the Naval Base, wasn't allowed to leave the base. Beautiful place though. Great fishing. Wish I could go back.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I know there are alot of JW's in cuba and many Canadian JW's bring alot of things down for them because they do not have much. I would think the isolation of the island would mean their are not many well-informed xjws.

Since they are poor and the culture is spanish, it is the perfect environment for JW's to flourish and there still is a facination with things "american". Maybe a copy of COC in spanish would go far in the right hands.

I will be in Holguin, Cuba mid January. Pack an old suitcase with everyday things you can give away as gifts.. like shoes, clothes, soap, pens etc. People don't have much there.

Path

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

Thanks path - I will be in Havana and Trinidad in January as well. I plan on giving away most of what I pack - we've been "briefed" about the poverty by the US State Dept.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Wow, Cuban cigars and Cuban rum.......sweet!

• Marcos
    Marcos

Hi Zenpunk and Merry Christmas!

I'm not from Cuba but I have family there and have spent some time there as recently as a couple of years ago.

If you have any specific questions I could answer, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

I was never there as a tourist. Even so, I was always welcomed by the soldiers manning immigration. The people there were friendly and helpful. Just be cautious of people who you don't know trying to sell you things or panhandling. They are pretty savvy about tourists.

My experience is that it is better to take US dollars with you. They spend better. However, don't make a fuss if they return your change in Cuban currency. This is the normal practice. My experience is that most people will not try to cheat you. The only place that you need to look out for would be some of the barrios in Havana. But in most places you are perfectly safe to wander about.

You might notice that sometimes if you walk into a restaurant or other establishment they will turn off the tv. This is because they are sensitive about "outsiders" hearing things that are considered to be "in the family". Also, if you trade in small, private businesses you will be able to find what you want. If you go to one of the "state" stores, it will be interesting to walk into a rather large store and see just a few items for sale on the shelves. The clerks are often also rather testy. I have seen a clerk yell at a large group of people who were trying to make purchases and tell them that she would be back when they could behave better. Customer service, for the Cubans, is almost non-existant.

Probably, most of your purchases will be in the shops and lobbys of the hotel(s) you stay at. I think prices will be a little higher but still a bargain.

Please be sensitive about giving away personal items. You don't want to appear to be too, how shall I say it, showy. If you have family or make acquaintances with friends or family of friends, I'm sure that your gifts will be well receive if given discreetly.

I once asked my friends and family how they got along (financially) at times when they had nothing (literally no food, no clothing available) and yet remained so happy? They told me, "No problem, we just get together and share our misery!"

The roads and hiways are fairly good (generally better than in Mexico) AND you can drink the water! Health care is the best in Latin America. Indeed, one of Cuba's main exports is doctors to many other countries. I know firsthand about medical care as I was injured while in Cuba and was taken care of promptly and professionally. I should mention that I suffered a sever cut to my hand. I teased the doctor. I told him, "I swear you were cleaning out the wound with rum and steel brush!" He laughed and denied it. I still think he used rum - heh, heh, heh.

I think you will have a great time. Also worth noting, all of the people with whom I came in contact regard American people very well.

If I think of anything else that might be of use to you, I will post again. But, if you wish to ask me anything, write to me and I will try to answer. I'm not an expert but I do have first hand experience.

Marcos

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

Thank you so much Marcos - you put a lot of helpful information in a few short paragraphs. I will email you if I think of any more specific questions. I must say, I'm a little nervous about going - that I really have to keep my wits about me.

Merry Xmas!

• Marcos
    Marcos

Zenpunk,

I must say, I'm a little nervous about going - that I really have to keep my wits about me.

Not to worry! You will be with a group, right? Where will you go? I spent most of my time in the Province of Havana in the country. If you are in a position to meet any of the locals, you might be able to spend time with a Cuban family. It would almost certainly be a rewarding experience.

One further caution. Ah, forgive me for being so forward but I must mention that the sexual climate in Cuba is much more "open" than it is in the US or in Mexico. Being as how you are an Ex and all, be forewarned that this is a striking difference in the culture. Don't be caught off-guard. Also, lycra is universal. I made the mistake of thinking my first time that there were a LOT of "ladies for hire" because a lot of women wear very tight-fitting shorts. It is just another local custom. Incidentally, I only "thought" it, I was generally a good boy.

But DO keep your wits about you.

More than anything, HAVE FUN!

Later,

Marcos

Edited by - marcos on 24 December 2002 22:6:0

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I will be with a group of 21 from 3 different colleges. During the week we will be attending lectures at the Casa de las Americas in Havana in the morning and then in the afternoon we will visit a certain site related to the morning lecture. For example, if we had a lecture about the economy in the morning, we would go visit a Cuban business in the afternoon, etc. We're going to such places as the Museo de la Ciudad, Museo de la Revolucion, Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, La Vigia, etc. We are also taking a trip to Trinidad to observe the restoration of historic buildings. From about 4pm onward we are on our own and we're encouraged to go somewhere for dinner, etc. (always in groups of at least 3 or so - and have a Spanish speaking person with us). We also have a couple of free days where we can go where we choose (once again in small groups).

As our info packet says - "sex with strangers is never a good idea". I plan to behave! I'm very exicted about this trip since so few Americans are able to go to Cuba legally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit